Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I drove my '69 ragtop into my garage for the winter in late November 1999. There was nothing major wrong with it. It was a daily driver and loooked like one, nothing special but not bad either. Along about that same time I started surfing the web and saw all these neat resto projects. By the time Spring 2000 came my poor ragcat was in many many pieces and I was in WAY over my head. A couple of months ago, with the help of a :devil: GM mechanic friend, I got the engine back together and can actually start and drive it. Work is slowly but surely coming along and I might actually be able to relicense and drive her this year!! In the meantime, I nominate myself for president of the Hall of Shame!!:eek: :eek: See for your self:

Chuck:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
and lastly, I hope I'm not abusing picture priveledges, BUT I've got to give credit to my wife who puts up with me and helped push ragcat!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hey, it's a '69 ragtop and does not look in too bad a shape. That's a good start! Good luck to ya. Let us know if youneed any help.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I thought I had added this picture also:

Cougar1- That is what makes it a shame! It could of used a new paint job and driver's seat but nothing mechanical was wrong with it before I thought it was the Tonka truck I used to take apart as a kid...

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I'm the Hall of Shame Founding Member

Ragcat, you've got nothing on me!

I did the exterior body restoration on AlphaCat back in '83. Beautiful paint job. The next Spring I decided to 'finish' the car and detail the engine compartment and underside of the car. I started ripping it apart on Mother's Day of '84.

I was going great guns for a couple of months. I had the front fender aprons and core support replaced (brazing was the extent of my ability at the time). Same goes for both front and one rear floor. I had rebuilt the engine. I was making real progress.

Then my father came back to live with us. He started questioning everything I did, looking over my shoulder constantly. "Why do you need to do that?" "How come you're spending so much time and effort on an old car." "You're wasting your time." etc., etc., etc. I got tired of his constant kibbutzing so I just stopped working on it. That was July 1984. I haven't really worked on it since.

I got married in Nov '86 and trailered the body shell here to the house and stuck it in the garage, much to the consternation of my new wife. She is somewhat understanding because we had met because of our cars. Since then, I think I've spent one day ripping the car even further apart. The body shell now sits on six jackstands with no drivetrain, no front clip, no front or rear suspension, and no interior. That's how it has sat since 1986! Since then, mice have shredded my headliner. Thank goodness the seats were in storage elsewhere! I don't even know how to put things back together again! Heck, I don't even know if I still have all of the pieces! I've sold some of my 'spare' parts over the years and I ended up selling one of AlphaCat's original front seats instead of the parts car seats. Ooops!

AlphaCat has gotten so buried under stuff over the years that the standing joke at the house here is whenever I'm looking for something I've misplaced, my wife says " Why don't you check the trunk of the Cougar?"

BetaCat isn't much better. At least it was able to drive to the new house. Since then it has just been sitting, too. At least I built a new 'hobby' garage in 1989 to keep the 66 Comet and BetaCat out of the elements. They did have to spend a couple of years outside 'seasoning', so even their condition had gone downhill to a degree. Now nothing is driveable any more.

I'm seriously thinking about selling all of my hobby cars. I just don't have the ambition to work on them and finish them off. In my darkest moods I've thought about just dragging the hulks over to the junkyard across the street, but so far I've resisted.

With the price of parts that I saw in Columbus at Spring Swap, I may just sell off my stash of NOS parts, or sell the whole shooting match as a giant model car kit for three cars -- you figure out what goes with what.

According to the Columbus show prices, I'm sitting on a couple of grand worth of NOS parts! Two complete sets of wheel opening mouldings -- at at least $100 per piece! The NOS rocker mouldings were $500 each! a pair of NOS rear seat trim panels... Then I have a couple of shelves full of headlight doors, marker bezels, grille surround moulings, and miscellaneous emblems and such. My cars aren't worth what the NOS parts are!

To say I'm really depressed and discouraged would be the understatement of the year.

Well, do I win the Hall of Shame award?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Cougarrcj....You gotta be kidding! Since '86! I've had my '68 since '82 and I think the longest it's sat when I was working on it was about 18 months. Holy crap batman! I'm doing a frame up resto on a '69 Cuda conv and the way I'm going now the whole job will have taken about 16 months! And I'm doing this on weekends while taking care of my 3yr old daughter and 6 yr old boy!

I'll give you the award; even without the pic's!:eek2:

P.S. don't junk them if they're still good shells. Each year there are less Cougars around!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cougarrcj-
I might conceide! I just read your post to my wife. She had a good laugh (at OUR expense, not just yours) She said she always knew I had a twin but just didn't know where. Don't give up though. I advertised my cars several times and tried to sell them but had no offers. That isn't really too surprising because my heart really wasn't into selling and I did have them overpriced. It took encouragement from 'cougar folks' (especially John (WVcat)) and my wife to even think about putting my messes back together, but now I'm heading in that direction.
And now for the rest of the story and why I only "might conceide":

In 1997, I bought a '68 standard that needed finishing but already had a 351W built with MSD ignition, 280 degree Comp Mag cam with 5/12 lift,389 gears in 9" rear, etc., etc.. Entire running gear had less than 50 miles on it. I borrowed $2500 for this gem. I got the exhaust put on it, had it inspected (it passed), and never licensed it and drove it around the block a sum total of three times.

In May 1999, I found ragcat and wanted it so bad I could taste it. Another trip to the bank, this time 6 grand:rolleyes: , and I had a 'vert. You can pick up the rest of the story in my original post, except when I started my dismanteling, the idea was to take the new 'goodies' from the '68 and put them on ragcat(heads, intake, etc., etc..) So can you guess what the '68 looks like engine wise? If you picture tore down to the block you picture right.

Oh yeah. My 'friend' (the :devil: GM mechanic) did charge me $500 to put what he called "my cougar puzzle" back together and that's stock!

So who wins? Maybe mine is just the plain stupidity award!:angryfi:

Chuck

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Hey Chuck,
I don't think of it as stupidity, its just paying your dues. Look at it this way, atleast now you can enjoy your cat this summer. I mean now that it runs you did put the stuff back on so you can drive it didn't you?:) I figure you can drive it this summer then after you are fully addicted again you can tear it back down for paint. This time you will have the motivation to do it, I know cause I'm going to bug you:1poke: ...lol
John
wvcat

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Since we are comming clean here I guess I should tell you that wvcat sat for a long time too. I bought her in 1989 when I live in california, shortly after I bought her I moved back to wv due to family reasons, I towed her with a 69 chevy truck that became a project, from 2wd 3/4 ton to 4wd 1/2 ton over a 12 month period...the cougar sat. Well then I kinda lost interest for a while, til I met my wife. I finally started working on wvcat, did the motor & trans. Then I started painting her, about that time we were expecting....two times in a row!! Lost interest again. Fall of 2000 I finally got with it and started on her again. I drove wvcat more in the summer of 2001 than I did in all the other years I had her. Now I'm determined to get her painted by memorial day weekend, and I still haven't finnished the roadrunner(but shes back together now:) )
John
wvcat

1 - 13 of 13 Posts