Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to see if any of you guys use Hagerty for insurance, and if so, what do you think of it?

Thanks in advanced,

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I just swapped over to them and am happy with them so far. Granted, I havent made a claim with them, but liked what I was told by them much more than any other company, including Grundy. They are a little more expensive than Grundy and others, but worth it if you ask me. I was with AmFam at 147 a year, but am happier with the terms from Hagerty at 240 a year.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well, I don't have Hagerty for my classic insurance... Honestly they were my first choice for classic insurance... What I am wondering if you have called them already and spoke with them about your classic? When I called them I wanted to insurance four cars well two cars and two trucks. They in my opinion must not like to insure trucks because they were really focused on the trucks asked me a ton of questions about them then would ask me the same questions just word the questions different. In my opinion they were just trying to trick you into saying something different. After, I answered all there questions right they left the conversation with I don't know if we can insure the trucks. This was without even seeing the pictures of them first. They also wanted tons of pics... Also, they wanted Pictures of what cars and trucks to insure in the garage...

I was a little upset when I got off the phone and called Grundy and all they wanted was a side shot and a front shot of the cars and trucks. Also, I ended up paying a lot less on the insurance. Honestly, I would have never called Grundy if Hagerty wouldn't have drilled me on the phone.

With that said sorry I'm not trying to steer you away from using Hagerty... Probably I should have just kept my nose out of this topic. Just wanted you to know my experience with them. They might be a great company about paying out claims if you ever needed them to for all that I know. I haven't had any claims with grundy so I can't speak from experience about grundy paying out claims. They just made getting the classic insurance a little easier. If you are insuring a cougar or some kind of car i'm sure you won't the same problems I did... I just wanted all my cars insured under the same company.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wanted honest opinions. Thanks for letting me know your experience.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got two cars insured with Hagerty. Thankfully, I have not had a claim. I do like the resources that are available from Hagerty. Their website has and newsletter are pretty informative.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I am thrilled with Hagerty after cancelling a Grundy policy when they would not give me more than a certain amount of coverage, even with an appraisal. Got the coverage I wanted with Hagerty just had to send pictures. Then, I called and asked about my '94 Mustang GT 'vert. No problem, just a mileage limitation of 3500 miles per year that I will never hit. And to boot I saved a TON of $$ over liability only on my regular insurance. Zero deductable full coverage with agreed upon value of $10K (as I recall). Thirdly, I upped my towing the their best package and that covers ALL of your vehicles (even DD's) with guaranteed flatbed service and one hour response time. Love it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have Hagerty on both Cats and have them insured for more than what they are worth and less than what I have into them. {LOL} I think?
Point is that they only asked for a front and side picture and no major modifications. You also have to have a daily driver for all drivers in your family, if you have 3 drivers in the family, they want one car assigned to each person not being a classic. They don't want you using your car as a daily mode of transportation but don't place restrictions on mileage. Free towing on break downs.
I've talked to guys who have lost their cars in Katrina and said that the representative came down and wrote them a check for the value of the policy on the spot. One guy also was told that if he wanted anything from the car to take it and just make the car look whole.
President of the Tbird club that we belong to had his 63 break down and they sent a tow promptly.
I've heard only good from Hagerty and their web site is interesting also. i haven't had to use their claim services and don't want to, but so far, I'm happy. Sal

·
Registered
223 Posts
When I got my 67 standard last summer I went with Hagerty. I looked into Grundy but they told me that my daily drivers were too old. Hagerty only needed a single 3/4 shot picture and insurance info on my daily drivers. I ended up upgrading to Hagerty Plus for the 125 mile tow insurance which also covers all my cars. 20K coverage is $221 per year and Hagerty Plus added $89 to that. $310 total per year seems like a fair deal to me for what you get.

Bill

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Just an FYI, Hagerty doesnt like trucks and 4x4's because they are used like trucks and 4x4's.
Lots of folks have spiffed up there old trucks but they still use them to tow, haul stuff and maybe a little off roading....

A truck is much more likely used to run errands or get a choir done which does not conform to the normal usage of a collector vehicle.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I went with Hagerty through my allstate agent so I didnt have the ton of questions scenario. Although a bit more than the others I looked at the selling point was the gaurenteed flatbed for towing (not that I want to use it) . I did have to supply a couple of pics, garage,engine compartment,interior and exterior but since it was original I didnt feel the questionair was over the top. :smoke:

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Your all state agent did the talking/answering of questions for you.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Well I did the online quote, as well as others, then called my allsate agent to see if they would give me a quote, they called me back with the same hagerty quote, sent me the questionair, list of pics required and I paid via credit card. :smoke:

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have two cars with them now and have had experience with their claim dept as well. I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I had a recent discussion with my Allstate agent about insuring a '70 Cougar. She quoted me Haggerty agreed-value rate (alot!), and also the Allstate rate (for coverage similar to my daily driver), which was about half the Haggarty rate. I asked what the Allstate rate covered since there was a big price difference and was told "fair market value".

I think that is interesting, considering the wide variation of "value" in a '70 Cougar. A buddy of mine (with experience in this area) told me that they would basically low-ball the value of a "classic", and that you would have to prove your case if something truly horrible happened to your car. He did prove his case, but it took him several months before they cut him a check for only slightly under his "asking price".
When my '93 Cobra was stripped I pretty much had to do the same thing; prove the value of my car.

I think for "special" cars, this will always be the case.

Ok, I'm rambling, but just wanted to throw my tiny sliver of experience in there. BTW ~ I'm planning on going with Allstate regular old coverage, for now.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Ok, I have to step in on the truck issue. Currently I have 3 vehicles insured with them. The Park Lane, the Polara and the F100. Each time when I put them on they asked what I think they were worth. They are not worth much as that is the fact of life concerning large cars. They suggested their minimum for that vehicle which was more than fair considering where I was. The only question they asked me about my truck was if it had a trailer hitch on the rear bumper. I said no as I had gotten rid of it when I bought the truck. They also asked for two photos but all vehicles had 2 photos requested. Had one dealing with the claim department concerning the Polara and a Honda. There were quick once the other party was able to supply correct info as I had no damage. All three cost me $200/year.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've had Hagerty for over 25 years on several cars and have never had any issues. I've heard strories bad/good about Hagerty, Grundy, and others. Shop around and if you don't like what you get go to the next company. Every company likes to insure certain type of vehicles. Hagerty is one of the largest classic boat insurance companies.

Good luck.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have Hagerty and for the $130 a year to cover my '70 it has been well worth it. I have never had an issue/accident/claim for what its worth.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts