Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a valve job done on a stock set of 302 heads! I ran the block #s to find out its a 1974 302 reinstalled them now no start! getting fuel getting spark have the distributor back in the right spot! So im told these have positve stop rocker arm studs using non rail type rockers so there all torqued at 20 pounds! What could I be overlooking?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Does it try to fire at all? You sure you stabbed the distributor correctly? maybe it is 180° out.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Well - you only gotta have spark/fuel/and correct time....one of the 3 ain't there. Start from basic - check that you are TDC on the right stroke and have fuel. Sounds like you are good to go else-wise.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
No one has mentioned the C word. If the fuel is there and the timed spark is there run a compression test.

·
Registered
40 Posts
No one has mentioned the C word. If the fuel is there and the timed spark is there run a compression test.
This is one of the first things it needs. Compression , Ignition, and Fuel, all at the right Time. If the engine has been apart for a while, it may take some time for the lifters to pump up. Did you spin the oil pump with a drill before installing the distributor?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts