Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.

I'm working on a new project, and need a little help from the experts here. I'm trying to decipher the four decals on the front fender of Gurney's #98 Trans Am Cougar. I can easily make out the "Goodyear" and "Castrol" decals, but am having a little trouble with the decal above the 'GT' badge, and the decal near the front bumper.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Different decals at different times.

Let's see - there is the round Bud Moore Engineering logo (that's what has the Mercury Man head), the old Castrol logos (usually the round one but a few times the shield shaped one), Union 76, Autolite, Pure Gasoline, Moog, Premier (bolts & cap screws) and Goodyear.

And then one I can't recall exactly what it was for - It had an "M" and a "P" in a checker board, with the "M" being in the upper left corner and the "P" being in the lower right.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
That profile shot of the #98 car, is one onf the sexiest things I have ever seen! Thanks for posting that..

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for the help!

I'm preparing a 95 Ford Probe for a "24 Hours of Lemons" race this fall. My original theme for the car was the Beatles "Yellow Submarine" ( the Probe kinda looks like a sub ). As luck would have it, another race team did that theme a few weeks ago, so I had to change to a new theme: a replica of the DG Trams Am Cougar! I'm going to try to make it look as close to original as possible, but the Probe's lines will make it a challenge. I've even tried to fit a spare set of 67 Cougar taillights on it, but it'll require a lot of grinding. I figured I'd paint a Cougar grille on the front, and I have a guy lined up to do the "Mercury Cougar" and number decals.

I found replicas of three of the four fender decals, all except the Bud Moore decal. Thanks again for the help.....

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
This is a picture I have from Dan Gurney(and signed) I forgot what race he ran with the busted windshield. You can see more decals on the fender. I also think the GT badge is incorrect. But i like it.

·
Registered
735 Posts
^^^ Great pic - that is from the last race at Kent. Busted windshield and black flagged for a loose gas cap. Lady luck was not with Team Cougar that day.

One of the 3 BME Cougars did start life as a GT and wears those badges early in the season.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I was thinking it was in Kent, but CRS had taken hold and didn't want to say it was if unsure. Gurney's All American Racing has donated items for our raffle at Prowl several times. This year we have a racing jacket from them. But it is size small.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts