Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still nervous!

Got Gunner aligned yesterday and finished up the shifter indicator Bezel done again with new vinyl surrounding the shifter handle's rod..looks good!

Just got the newly refinished and rebuilt fan clutch the other day and need to install that..it's beautiful too..

Now, one little issue that's making me nervous- the family helped me install an original old hood blanket tonight. It looks great..but I'm afraid of all of the dust that it seems to still be holding trapped inside. Every time it is touched, it poofs out dust. Uh oh..

I have spent hours dabbing and cleaning it to take off as much of the surface grime as I could, and then randomly sprayed it with a flat black paint. But it is still emitting dust. I know a swiffer is good for dusting off the engine bay, and will undoubtably have to be busy with it when on display and after running her a few times with this blanket installed, but I'm afraid of what is going to happen when that fan kicks air around in the engine bay! Does anybody have any morsels of wisdom for me on this issue?

Thanks,

·
Registered
349 Posts
Now, one little issue that's making me nervous- the family helped me install an original old hood blanket tonight. It looks great..but I'm afraid of all of the dust that it seems to still be holding trapped inside. Every time it is touched, it poofs out dust. Uh oh..
You need to remove the hood blanket and start blowing out all the debris before you reinstall. You've spent way too many hours making this car pristine, no sense in having the hood blanket spewing out impurities every time someone sneezes. How about using compressed air through a furnace filter to dislodge any impurities, then reinstall the hood blanket?

·
Registered
568 Posts
This may not be a morsel of wisdom but it's the first thing that came to my mind. I once used 3M Spray Adhesive to seal something similar. I realize it may only be sealing the dirt in, but they may be a good thing. I'm pretty sure that it would be invisible but you'd want to experiment to make sure.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Brian -- Now that you've installed it, it may be too late. Back in the day when we used to worry about judging cars, etc. you lost as many points for having problems with a hood blanket as you did for not having one at all. So most of us dispensed with having them. On Cougar 1 John got lucky one day and found a pristine one so that's an exception. If, when you installed it, you didn't chip any paint around the clip mounting holes you may be better off to just not have a blanket on it at all. Just towing that car to AZ will cause a huge amount of stuff in that blanket to sift out.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I would leave it off too if it's a big dust concern. Just bag it and bring it along with any other bits that go with the car. That's if you can safely remove it without hassle or damage. You can just say you left it off because it is slightly dusty but more so to show the bottom of the hood's superb condition. If anyone asks. LOL.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Just my .02 cents worth. See if you can get it clean and put it on, unless it's in to bad of shape. Right it's not a concourse show ,they only subtract points at a show. Look at this way, people are looking for the best, at least the high end people are. Will this detour bidders? Don't know, but I would be asking myself why is it missing on such a highly done car, Hmmmm what else could be missing? As far as I'm concerned if your selling a rare or highly sought car, it don't go any further up the food chain then B-J. Take a look at how you described it in your B-J ad. At the least I would try to clean it and maybe install it at the auction.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses, gang..I was a bit unclear on what is done here..It is in fact "installed", and beleive me, it is permanent. And it is a REALLY nice original blanket. It actually looks really good, and I spent an incredible amount of time cleaning it, but it is mostly done on the surface, no doubt.. I had taken a sample piece from one of Don's at his place and totally soaked it, and it had a pretty "shrunken" appearance later. it was tightened-up so much that I didn't want to do this to the nice one that Scott Behnke sold me..so I dabbed and sprayed the surface and dabbed with many many shop paper-towels. There was a lot of dirt coming off, in addition to oils and grease, of course.

The adhesive spray to glue it and the clips did a great job of keeping it tight to the hood..but that baby is where it is..After taking another look yesterday I am a bit less concerned..I opened the hood a couple times and was under there a bit while installing the refinished fan clutch, and the dusting was pretty mimimal. I think it's going to have to be addressed a bit more, though, just in case the trip to Arizona is an issue. I got the idea of having a shop-Vac in the area while I gently tap around on it..we'll see if that works. Otherwise, i thought of blowing on it too, but that will cause the need for dusting the entire car again, unless I blanket her all up first (that's a possibility too). The adhesive-spray "sealing" is a good idea to try too, but it might be too late.

I'll figure it out, and do some testing. I got a bit freaked out at first, but I think it's going to be OK.. I have to keep myself busy doing something at the auction anyway, I might as well have a swiffer in hand ;)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
How about laying a old bed sheet over the engine compartment, then hitting the hood insulation with the air hose?.

I wish you well, for sure.

Dale in Indy

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Maybe a less noticeable sealer like Scotch-Guard would encapsulate some of dust particles, might even give it a fresh look? I honestly did not think about dust escaping when I was over the other day and we were discussing such things...

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How about laying a old bed sheet over the engine compartment, then hitting the hood insulation with the air hose?.

I wish you well, for sure.

Dale in Indy
Yeah..I thought that would be smart..It might be smart to actually transport the car this way too..but the shipping boys will have to be smart and careful enough to remember to remove it before starting the car! ;)

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Can't think of a product at the moment, but possibly if you could come up with something that is somewhat oily if you will, but clear, that could be sprayed on in a mist. Just enough oil in it to hold the dust but not look like the pad is full of something. Another idea might just be a can of that old Aqua Net hair spray after you have covered everything you don't want spray on.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can't think of a product at the moment, but possibly if you could come up with something that is somewhat oily if you will, but clear, that could be sprayed on in a mist. Just enough oil in it to hold the dust but not look like the pad is full of something. Another idea might just be a can of that old Aqua Net hair spray after you have covered everything you don't want spray on.

That's a very good idea, actually..an oil or WD 40 or even a Silicone spray might be a good "dressing" that would hold it all and encapsulate any dust.. Hmm..Testing will be done on another blanket ;)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Brian, I'd stay away from anything oil based. I'd think when it got hot it would start dripping. I think both the scotch gaurd or hair spray would work well enough

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Brian, I'd stay away from anything oil based. I'd think when it got hot it would start dripping. I think both the scotch gaurd or hair spray would work well enough
Yeah..we have to be careful with flammable substances too..someone here at work recommended a spray wax..I'll check into it..also, Hair spray, I have been told, is extremely flammable, but I'm not sure about what happens after it dries. It might be even worse!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Post a BIG note on steering wheel, "DON'T START UNTIL SOFT ENGINE COVER IS REMOVED." Been there done that.

You will figure it out, YOU AIN'T NO DUMMY. That's for sure!

Dale in Indy

P.S. Here in Indy a lady owns an aircraft interior install shop, and I purchased my 40 yards of Ultra leather from her. As a part of her business she also makes leather cover plugs that are inserted in the inlet of jet engines to keep unwanted things out while not in use, well you guessed it, many times pilots have FORGOTTEN to remove, and sucked them in, and BYE, BYE engine. Big problem.......

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Dale in Indy

P.S. Here in Indy a lady owns an aircraft interior install shop, and I purchased my 40 yards of Ultra leather from her. As a part of her business she also makes leather cover plugs that are inserted in the inlet of jet engines to keep unwanted things out while not in use, well you guessed it, many times pilots have FORGOTTEN to remove, and sucked them in, and BYE, BYE engine. Big problem.......
I doubt they were still installed on start if they got sucked in. More likely they starved the engine of air and dumping the fuel in caused a hot start destroying the engine. Those covers usually fit pretty snug. The ones we used could have only got sucked if they were inserted sideways. That said there many stories of people getting sucked into the engine and even some where they lived.

·
11,000 Posts
The engines will and do start right up with the covers installed.

There was a crew in a Citation X that started both engines and taxiied part way to to the runway with the covers installed. Grenaded one engine and went back to the FBO to face their carreer change.

I doubt they were still installed on start if they got sucked in. More likely they starved the engine of air and dumping the fuel in caused a hot start destroying the engine. Those covers usually fit pretty snug. The ones we used could have only got sucked if they were inserted sideways. That said there many stories of people getting sucked into the engine and even some where they lived.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I just know they were on Corp. jets, like LEAR etc. and she wouldn't have told me about such if it weren't true. I'm NOT an airplane expert, but would believe anything she told me. Maybe they weren't as SNUG as they should have been, I just don't know.

Dale in Indy

1 - 20 of 49 Posts