Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am too tired to think clearly (going to bed soon), and too lazy to look through my links on this question.
I found a 67 cat for sale here locally, body is in mint shape, interior is nice, overall looks to be an 8 out of 10. My question is, it has GT hubcaps on it. What else should I look at for it to be a true GT? I haven't called the seller yet, and couldn't read the VIN either. It also has a soft top.

Goin to be now, dreaming of Cougars chasing sheep... :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
badges

Hey, as for the badges, did they put them on all GT's? If so, where did they go, and where can I get a set (anybody know)? I found out my car had been repainted like 15 years ago. They forgot to put the Mercury logo back on the trunk, and they might have quite possibly forgot these too.

Heather

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks 73, I had been to that site before, but was just too lazy last night to hunt for it.
Heather, I would assume that they did put the badges on all GTs. I don't see why they wouldn't. If you go to the link 73 list above, it shows the proper placement on the front quarter panel near the door.

Looks like that cat I found for sale is just a plain jane then. Still a nice find though. I am still going to give the guy a ring and go look at it a bit better. And get the VIN as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok... I may be a little slow, but I see the badges at the top of the screen, and then a little lower it says "On the front fenders"... but neither one of the 68 or 67 GT's in the pics have them? If I got some, I would like to orient them well where they are supposed to go.

Heather

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Aren't they the almost-invisible blobs in the pictures about mid-way between the wheelwell and the front-door edge on the lower half of the fenders?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nope, those say "GT". I've got those on my car. I've also looked through the photo gallery on this site, and none of the GT's have the 6.5 litre emblems on them...

Hum

Heather

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
The only way you'll know your cat is a GT for sure is to have a report done by Kevin Marti.

My Marti report states that there were 5,957 Cougars ordered with a S-code 390 and the C-6 auto trans. I don't know
how many were ordered with 3-speed and 4-speed transmission
So if your Cat was ordered with the 390 engine and a 3-sp, 4-sp or auto trans you got the 6.5 L Badge. You could not order the
GT Equipment Group with a 6.5 L Badge

The report also states that there were 5,791 Cougars ordered with the GT Equipment Group.
So if your Cat was ordered with a 390 and the GT Equipment Group then your cat, depending when it was made, got the
rectangular GT badge like they put on Mustangs (early GT] or
they got the GT letters (later 67s and 68)

Mercury only put the GT badge on 390 cars unlike Mustang that
used them on smaller engine displacements.

So if you think you have a GT get the report, your car will be worth more if it was ordered with the GT option.

http://www.cougarclub.org/Cougars101/gt.shtml

1 - 9 of 9 Posts