Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Woops..Aluminum ;)

OK all you GT-E Mafia members..Who would pay dearly to ship your "Body Trim" to me to have restored by the fellow that did my Red GT-E?

I'm going to approach him again to see if he'd be willing to let us throw somewhere around $1800 to $2200 (I'm only guessing here!) at him per set..He did wonderful work on mine-He is quite simply a perfectionist. The problem is..I don't think he will do another set or two. After he did mine, he said that it was just too time consuming and it isn't very efficient for him to mix the product in with his batches of other products. He'd want to be able to keep his batches somewhat separate and do all of the Cougar stuff on it's own. Since he's going to want to do it in bulk, so his first question is going to be "HOW MANY SETS?" can I throw at him.

I thought I'd ask as quickly and concisely as I can here. I would probably have people send me their sets, although he might be willing to just have you send them to him directly. He'd be most impressed and it would be easiest to organize, though, if I were to deliver them all to him all at once so he doesn't have to wait on people and wonder how many more are coming. If we simply had a deadline, a price estimate all done in advance, and I delivered them to him at once, he'll probably say that it might take up to a year or so to get done, beware..

In my opinion, if you have a GT-E and wonder where to get your trim done..this is the place. If we can talk him into it. This fellow does mostly Mopar Front-Ends and he has a fantastic reputation for his work. He's a little quirky, so you want me to be the liazon for you, believe me! I'll only guarantee that I won't destroy your stuff in transport and I'll always be available for you if you have questions.

Keep in mind, too, that it could cost quite a bit for you to ship the stuff..I'd guess at least 200.00-250.00 for a large long package that you'd want to wrap in several layers of Cardboard and maybe even thin plywood or sticks for reinforcement of the package. Shipping of the finished product might be a challenge, but we'll figure it out!

These are some of the most important pieces of your GT-E, and they are often what will "hang you up" in your restoration project, because it is POSSIBLE to buy reproductions, but it is awfully nice to have the originals and to have them done to absolute perfection. It is also adviseable to point out that they need to be somewhat useable from the start. He can always take scuffs and scrapes out, but bending is always a question, and metal can't be "added" back to a scrape. It can only be "cut down" and then re-anodized. But if I was going to entrust this stuff with anyone-he's our guy.

I can't guarantee anything. Especially timeframe! But I'll communicate and organize and haul stuff to him with care.. I want to be armed with a good solid count and commitment from some people in order to persuade him.

So--before I even approach him, Who's in? Feel free to PM me..I know some of you have more of these sets than you want to admit ;)

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Mine are already done. Thanks for helping the community, though!!!!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine are already done. Thanks for helping the community, though!!!!
You've already got another set don't you, Ray? Or did you already get the ones from Florida done? Are you still having McNichols do your work?

You're such a hoarder.. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Hey MM
Does he do the lower normal style 68 rocker trims.I have alot of those I would love to find someone that does them. Would be better on the east coast probally but would be interested.
Thanks
John

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey MM
Does he do the lower normal style 68 rocker trims.I have alot of those I would love to find someone that does them. Would be better on the east coast probally but would be interested.
Thanks
John

That's a good Q, John..I think he's suddenly warmer to the work, as the MoPar Market isn't what it used to be..but he just told me an hour ago that he now will be moving and is going to farm out the anodized work but do polishing himself, still. The '68 (and 69-70) mouldings seem to me to be more a "strip and refinish" job, so I wonder if it'll be worth his while (and as you said, freight)

The GT-E trim is intriging to him because there is a lot of "shape management" where his polishing expertise is really valuable. He can keep it's original shape and still do repairs in an amazing fashion. He just told me to contact him in february after he gets his move done..

B

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE..

I looked up the old rates from 5 years ago..The anodize stripping and resurfacing was actually pretty reasonable. I'd guess a couple Hundred bucks is easily going to cover it. It's the polishing and bending/repairs that is the time and $ consuming thing..My set was about 1,000 worth and it was pretty clean and straight to start with, just for a reference point.

So it might not be as bad$ as I think. I'm just wanting to get some committments or at least interest from those searching still! (and who knows, maybe I can get a set done for myself for the future ;))

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I am left wondering if any of the other guy's GTE's have "Alluminum" trim? :buck:

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Brian,

As we discussed Sunday night, I am interested....and have the luxury to be very patient.

Obviously the cost is a factor, so let's see what he requires. But I trust your opinion on his quality of work. Also, will he be able to keep our side mouldings from being mixed up with another car's mouldings?? Definitely want to retain the moldings from my GT-E.

Thanks for lookin' into this Brian!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
You've already got another set don't you, Ray? Or did you already get the ones from Florida done? Are you still having McNichols do your work?

You're such a hoarder.. ;)
Yup. Mcnichols Plating in Redford/Detroit Michigan. Ask for Mike, the shop foreman. I had 11 side trims (I was missing one at the time that I have since bought from Hank) and 6-8 front end mouldings done for about $450. This was 5 yeasr ago. He polished out the dings and scrapes, too. I wouldn't call them flawless.....but I would say they're factory correct finish.

I am a hoarder. I have stuff all over the place. Sometimes it drives me nuts and I wanna sell it all and get down to 2-3 cars.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Brian,

Depending on the price, I might be interested. I have one piece (rear quarter) that needs a little work. I'm eventually going to un-GT-E my car. I think that a perfect set of GT-E trim would find a buyer easier than a set with one piece that has minor damage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts