Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Has been for sale for a while.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Seems to be represented pretty well. He made clear that it's a J code with a 66 428 installed, and all repro GTE parts. Exterior looks real nice, but the interior is really sloppy. The texture of the poorly sewn XR7 seat covers (on 69 seats) clashes with the 67 Standard console and 68 dash. Big headliner sags on the C pillar. Big gaping hole where the radio and roll-up door goes. Since there's a non-A/C controller on an A/C car, I'd be concerned the heater and vents aren't functioning, along with other things under the dash. Too many red flags for me, I'd expect to find lots of unwanted surprises throughout.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
At least you can flog the crap out of this one without freaking out the trailer queens.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I looked at it- not all bad not all good just a bit more than I wanted to take on - be happy to help if someone wants an objective opinion

·
Registered
292 Posts
Still has the side emblems on the WRONG sides.

Dale in Indy
It's funny what certain people get annoyed by. This bugs me too.

This car has been for sale for a long time, and in the back of my mind I wonder, if he still hasn't fixed this simple thing (never mind how he could have made the mistake in the first place), what else has he overlooked?

It's probably a great car!

·
Registered
349 Posts
If Eliminator clones are so easily accepted, and there's so many, why not GT-E's too?
Because there's a big difference between a properly presented 'clone', and a thrown-together-cornucopia-of-parts-thrown-at-a-car. As presented, the headlamp covers don't work, and the sequential tail lights are inop. "The car still needs a days work if you want the headlights and rear blinkers to work." BS flag thrown. There are at least three model years of Cougar parts contained in this particular vehicle, along with at least two different interior packages. Chances of all the gauges working? I would expect about 50%, but I'm just being the 'devil's advocate' here!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Because there's a big difference between a properly presented 'clone', and a thrown-together-cornucopia-of-parts-thrown-at-a-car. As presented, the headlamp covers don't work, and the sequential tail lights are inop. "The car still needs a days work if you want the headlights and rear blinkers to work." BS flag thrown. There are at least three model years of Cougar parts contained in this particular vehicle, along with at least two different interior packages. Chances of all the gauges working? I would expect about 50%, but I'm just being the 'devil's advocate' here!
Ok but I'm not referring to this specific car. Just GT-E clones in general. There's a lot of Eliminator clone jobs that stop with only the stripes, scoop and spoilers that a person could say the same thing about, 92 codes, 94 codes, wrong this, wrong that.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Ok but I'm not referring to this specific car. Just GT-E clones in general. There's a lot of Eliminator clone jobs that stop with only the stripes, scoop and spoilers that a person could say the same thing about, 92 codes, 94 codes, wrong this, wrong that.
Larry,

I think it is because generally, the Eliminator is a more "known" car. Everybody thinks Eliminators when they think cougars if a guy's a general MuscleCar fan. They sold a lot more of them, they were splattered with decals, had bright muscle car colors, etc..

The GT-E was a one year deal and they sold 393 of them. Furthermore, the 427 was expensive to plop into a car and make a clone. Eliminators came in 352 W and 351 Cleveland form in good numbers, as did '69 and '70 Cats which could just be modified with a spoiler, decals, etc. and presto, you're done. (not to make it sound easy, to do it right certainly took a bit of work!). Also, the GT-E extruded trim was rare and expensive, and the emblems were not reproduced until just a few years ago..

Lots of reasons, IMO.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
A 352W,Those must be pretty rare....LOL

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Larry,

I think it is because generally, the Eliminator is a more "known" car. Everybody thinks Eliminators when they think cougars if a guy's a general MuscleCar fan. They sold a lot more of them, they were splattered with decals, had bright muscle car colors, etc..

The GT-E was a one year deal and they sold 393 of them. Furthermore, the 427 was expensive to plop into a car and make a clone. Eliminators came in 352 W and 351 Cleveland form in good numbers, as did '69 and '70 Cats which could just be modified with a spoiler, decals, etc. and presto, you're done. (not to make it sound easy, to do it right certainly took a bit of work!). Also, the GT-E extruded trim was rare and expensive, and the emblems were not reproduced until just a few years ago..

Lots of reasons, IMO.
I'm aware of all that, but somehow I get the impression* (but not in this particular thread) that some people almost thinks it's sacrilegious to make a GTE clone even when the owner is honest about it.
*I could be wrong. I'm wrong a lot.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Tsk tsk Brian ... 393 ? I suspect your discounting the W code without the GT-E package ? Because there is a lot of information out there now about the number being 394 I'm not going to change that. It is easier, and I think it makes more sense, to simply footnote the GT-E Registry with the unusual circumstances of the white car.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Hehe..Pinkerton's all over that one!

Sorry Jim, that was specifically meant for you..just seeing if you're paying attention ;)

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Am I missing something here? Brian talks about the 393 gte's produced by the factory, not 393 W code's. I believe the number on W codes is now 358, documented.
The white car is not a gte.

So.....there is now 394 of what?

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Am I missing something here? Brian talks about the 393 gte's produced by the factory, not 393 W code's. I believe the number on W codes is now 358, documented.
The white car is not a gte.

So.....there is now 394 of what?
Oh Man..seems I've re-opened up a can O' worms ;)

I would read the current situation this way, Jeff: There are 394 GT-Es produced total..but one of them wasn't a GT-E, it was a W Code Cougar without the GT-E package.

Or, there are 356 W Code GT-Es ; 37 428CJ GT-Es; and another W Code Cougar mystery-car (Till further notice) That 427 White car deserves to be in the registry..it has been there forever, and ought to stay there ;)

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
But the # of gte's hasn't changed so I guess that the 394 number is the number of cars Jim P. keeps track of.

BTW, Brian, I hope my comment on shifting your new car was funny. That was all...just goofing off and didn't mean to offend.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
But the # of gte's hasn't changed so I guess that the 394 number is the number of cars Jim P. keeps track of.

BTW, Brian, I hope my comment on shifting your new car was funny. That was all...just goofing off and didn't mean to offend.
Oh yeah, I remember that one Jeff..I'll get you for that! ;) I had to just give up the search for the 4 speed..I would just get all tangled up eatin' my chicken McNuggets and slurpin on a Dr. Pepper with both hands while driving, anyway. That wouldn't end well.. ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts