Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spotted this one http://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/2537125148.html

1968 Mercury Cougar GTE - $85000 (Ohio)

<hr>Date: 2011-08-08, 9:34PM EDT
Reply to: see below <sup>[Errors when replying to ads?]</sup>
<hr>

This is an original GTE Cougar. 7.0 liter 427 FE automatic, Second owner. If you know what this is then you know what it is worth if you can actually find one. I have a copy of Muscle Car Magazine that featured this very car. I also have a Johnny Lightning Matchbox Car that used this car for the photo card. This is super rare and very cool. Obviously no joy rides and no low ball offers. $85,000 We are well aware of what this car is worth and it is a steal at this price. One went on Barret Jackson for over a hundred. No hurry to sell. Call if interested... 9373073548

<!-- START CLTAGS -->

• <!-- CLTAG GeographicArea=Ohio -->Location: Ohio
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
<!-- END CLTAGS --><table summary="craigslist hosted images"><tbody><tr><td align="center">
</td><td align="center">
</td></tr><tr><td align="center">
</td><td align="center"></td></tr></tbody></table>
PostingID: 2537125148

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
The shot of the engine compartment is interesting. How many things can you spot that are wrong?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I have pictures of this car from about 15 years ago when I visited with the original owner. Somethings have been changed about the engine compartment, but the car is a real GT-E and if it were still as good as when I saw it, it is probably worth what he's asking. This owner is a friend of the original owner who is now bed-ridden.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
The shot of the engine compartment is interesting. How many things can you spot that are wrong?
Air cleaner and distributor cap...........

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
He should have posted better pictures. Gonna turn off some people without them.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Better pic's would be nice, but any REALLY interested person will dig deeper on his/her own, and learn what he/she needs to know in order to make a decision.

Any serious buyer will go take a look, or hire someone to inspect in person. The comment, NOT IN A HURRY TO SELL may explain the lack of a polished ad. How OFTEN do we see a (2) owner GT-E come on the market, word will spread, I BET, right here on this site too.

We will see how long it last.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I agree with you Dale, but Don has a good point as well. Some people assume there is something to hide when there is such a lack of information in an ad. After all he is trying to sell something. Just as an example, how many people might think it's not the original engine from looking at the picture? Especially since he doesn't state that it is. To me he's doing himself a great disservice by not placing a better ad.

No thermactor stuff either Scott.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I find the number of GT-E's popping up this year to be interesting. After BJ, everyone who owns one of these cars thought they would make the same money so they are now testing the waters. I've seen that car on the Mustangs Unlimited cover on eBay 4-5 times now, and it never comes close to the Buy It Now price.

Let's face it. In this economy, very few people can afford to drop six figures on a car. And if you can, odds are you aren't going to buy a cougar. I'm not talking about the folks that visit this board, just collectors in general.

So, whether this car can get $85K or not remains to be seen. I talked to a guy at the nationals that owns one, and he was asking (I think) High $80's - low $90's, and it had been for sale for a while. Not sure if he has sold it yet. I've also seen 2 others on ebay not come close to their BIN's.

Perhaps folks are just testing the market, and if they get a buyer, great. If not, like this guy, they aren't in a rush to sell the car, so it will stay in the possession of the current owner.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
well, don't really care myself, but... when it comes to that sticker, the stuff starts to fly around. Quite a sight :lolani:
And Jean ought to know, he's full of "stuff" himself... :buck:

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I've gotten a whole 'nother perspective on what it takes to sell a GT-E for the money, obviously.

No offense to the owner, but this is not the way to do it. I would not just depend on the prospective buyer coming in and looking, sending in a expert, etc..I'd put all the info and extensive pictures out there for people to see. I'd make the pic big, plentiful, shine the car up and clean it, have every single Wire the right color and the specs dialed in, etc. or there are going to be zero people interested in the areas of 85K or 100k.

The kind of buyer that wants a 427 Ford and has the actual money ready has a lot better list of things to do than to do all the legwork and figure out how to finalize a project or restoration. That is why finishing the restoration completely is essential, or keeping the car all original and correct is essential.

There are not many buyers who want the "in between" original or concours restored cars. We've seen it over and over again. It baffles me how/why sellers don't just go ahead and realize this. Either take the money and move on (less money, making the buyers get a "reward" for all the questions and uncertainties and for having to do legwork) or finish the project and present the car well for what it is. Again, I don't mean to sound like an ass..I just think it is an injustice to show such a cool car with such little detail and it quickly becomes just another GT-E being dangled out there with little effort and little regard to what it does to the reputation of these cars.

I'm no rocket scientist..if I could figure it out, anyone can ;)

·
Registered
384 Posts
How about the other category, driver/project. That is the only way alot of us will ever afFORD a GTE. I go to sleep every night to cutting and replacing quarter panels.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've gotten a whole 'nother perspective on what it takes to sell a GT-E for the money, obviously.

No offense to the owner, but this is not the way to do it. I would not just depend on the prospective buyer coming in and looking, sending in a expert, etc..I'd put all the info and extensive pictures out there for people to see. I'd make the pic big, plentiful, shine the car up and clean it, have every single Wire the right color and the specs dialed in, etc. or there are going to be zero people interested in the areas of 85K or 100k.

The kind of buyer that wants a 427 Ford and has the actual money ready has a lot better list of things to do than to do all the legwork and figure out how to finalize a project or restoration. That is why finishing the restoration completely is essential, or keeping the car all original and correct is essential.

There are not many buyers who want the "in between" original or concours restored cars. We've seen it over and over again. It baffles me how/why sellers don't just go ahead and realize this. Either take the money and move on (less money, making the buyers get a "reward" for all the questions and uncertainties and for having to do legwork) or finish the project and present the car well for what it is. Again, I don't mean to sound like an ass..I just think it is an injustice to show such a cool car with such little detail and it quickly becomes just another GT-E being dangled out there with little effort and little regard to what it does to the reputation of these cars.

I'm no rocket scientist..if I could figure it out, anyone can ;)

I think you make a few good points and don't sound like an ass. (however, it's not my car or ad you are ****ting on either, so... :evil:) Like you, I would agree for that kind of money, everything would be documented, everything would be correct, and I wouldn't have to do anything to restore the vehicle. That's not the impression I get at all.

The car at B-J was all there (as far as I know). Detailed to perfection. Looked great. They didn't just roll the car out of a storage garage, take a few swipes with a duster and call it clean.

The other thing I don't like about these types of ads is that the person tells all potential customers that he knows what these cars are worth and if we are as smart as we think, we should know how much it's worth also. So don't get bogged down by the bad pictures, dirty car, and lousy presentation.

Maybe it will sell. Who knows? But at that price, I think people have a right to expect a bit more from the seller.

In any event, it looks like I'll be hoping for that magical "barn find". :1zhelp:

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
The seller doesn't say if its a std. or XR7 or what color the interior is. I don't see any XR7 badges in the dark photo so I will assume it is a std. as was the BJ auction car. The seller seems to really not be that interested in selling it. Maybe his wife heard about the BJ car and made him list it...LOL. It could be a very nice car or maybe not. A big gamble unless you live close enough to just drive over without much expense to inspect it. He may end up regretting the few poor photos. I just sold my 72 Road Runner and had many more and much better pics and I still had a potential buyer run me to death sending pics. Every day it seemed for a couple of weeks he was having me take pics of this ,Pics of that. Had me pull up the carpet so he could see the foors ect. I must have sent the guy 200 pics and then after all that he never bid. I did end up getting what I needed to get for the car but just not from him. The car actually went to New Zeland. Funny 3 out of the last 4 I have sold left the country. I guess they are the only ones with money these days. Back to the subject at hand. If I were a big buck collector I would look for a XR7 and a rare color. Not cardinal Red which was by far the most common color 134 out of 394 GTEs. All this said I hope he gets as much as he can for the car as I would hate to see the bottom fall out of the GTE market like it has with mopars. Prices are a double edge sword when your looking to by you want a soft market and once you own it you want a strong market. Kinda like the stock market !

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
We all agree, the listing could be MUCH better, but for years and years we have seen cars advertised in our local paper with a simple statement or two. Example, " 40 Ford Coupe, good condition, $500.00" If interested we picked up the phone and called to learn more. I still say that ANY really interested buyer will find a way to get the info he or she wants. Thousands and thousands of cool cars have been sold over the years via a very simple listing, and word of mouth.

Speaking for myself, I'm not going to be buying a GT-E, and sure, it would be nice to sit here and see pictures galore, but the serious buyer will do his or her own investigation, and even with pictures galore one can get screwed.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jim hasn't had a few calls wanting to know what he knows about this GT-E. As far as the market falling out the bottom for the GT-E car, well, there aren't that many, and I would suspect there are still people with deep pockets looking for one. How often have you heard someone say, HEY, I KNOW WHERE THERE IS A OLD CAR FOR SALE?, and from that questions come, and the investigation begins.

Yes, a better listing would be nice, but the lack of such WON'T keep this car from selling.

Time will tell won't it.

Dale in Indy

P.S. Do we think, no one would be interested if the ad ONLY stated, " 1968 GTE FOR SALE, call --- --- ----?

·
Registered
913 Posts
If you will notice, the intake manifold is painted blue like the rest of the engine, as it should be!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
If you will notice, the intake manifold is painted blue like the rest of the engine, as it should be!
Actually, no. The aluminum intake manifold was installed on the engine, then the engine was painted blue, but the painter used something like cardboard in an attempt to mask off the aluminum intake from paint. The factory look would have some blue paint along the edges.

I originally thought the GT-E engine had the intake painted blue because in the 1968 L-M Cougar sales brochure, the engine picture for the GT-E add showed the intake painted blue, and a '67 390GT style air cleaner, and air conditioning! As Royce pointed out to me, L-M placed a photo of a '67 390GT engine in that GT-E add.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts