Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ok.. working on the cat today trying to make more power. i bought a spacer for the carb. its a 1" Moroso spacer with 4 holes in it. i went to swap it on along with the new 670 Holley Street Avenger i have sitting around in my garage ( it has downleg fuel inets.. will clear the air cleaner ) i bolted it all up and after a snafu with the battery cable.. tried to start and it wouldnt idle at all. would fire, run at a HIGH idle then die fast. pumped the gas before starting it and it would run longer, but then die again. got mad so i threw my old 600 Holley back on with the spacer still on and tried to start it. ran better, but still would die. it would idle longer than the 670 but still died. the exhaust sounded different too... more err... radical ( i cant describe sound ). so i got pissed then came back inside. ill screw with it tomorrow and take the spacer off and slap one of the carbs on to see where i stand. just dont want to get mad and break something in a fit out there. god... ive swapped several carbs in the past... but why is it when i work on MY car everything goes wrong??? sorry.. needed to vent. any ideas as well what im doing wrong? i know its a bit strange to want a spacer too but im on a neverending quest for more power before having to swap cams.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i w2as thinking that too... if anything i bet the damn trhottle cable bracket is causing it somehow. ill deal with it tomorrow.. if i do it now ill have to fix dents that the wrenches ill throw will make lol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The most important thing to remember is HAVE PATIENCE! If something goes wrong, stop and think about what you changed and what effects it could have. If you do get flustered, walk away and do something else for a few minutes, but try to gain some patience.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Been there done that. either your idle circuit is not up to handling the much larger plenum that the carb now sees or you do not have a sufficient vacuum signal to maintain the idle circuit. BTW - This is different than a vacuum leak, although a vacuum leak could cause this condition, but it could also be the cam characteristics. How much vacuum are you normally producing at idle?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
normally teh car pulls about 18- 21 inches of vacuum at idle. yes its a very mild stock cam.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok ok.. today i went back out and screwed with the carb and crap more. figrued out where the vacuum leak was coming from. took care of it and fired the car up with the 670 and the spacer. it felt VERY good. seemd to rev faster and well, when i revved it the car rocked more than usual. BUT i couldnt find a way to get the throttle linkage attached the way i wanted ( pedal sat even higher than before ) and the kickdown linkage was way off. so i had those disconnected while i ran it. the 670 also wouldnt idle below 1000 RPM for some reason no matter what i did with it. i DID get it down to 800 but that was with me pressing on the throttle lever. anyone else have that problem? well, seeing as no linkages were hooked up, i took the 670 off and slapped the 600 on. still felt alot better than without the spacer. BUT..... i tightened down the bolt holding the carb down and $^&#*&#&$*&#$&*$&#*&#$*&$#&**&#$... i stripped a bolt hole!!!!!! you should have been there... i would have hurt your virgin ears. well at that point i decided to take the spacer and all off of it and slapped the 600 back on like it used to be. bolted it on and used alot of teflon tape on the bolt hole i stripped.. yes it worked. but Monday i will take the car to the mechanic i go to when i get myself into situations like this where i am more likely to hurt the car than to make it better. see?? whenever i work on MY OWN car.. things never go right... ayy yay yay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts