Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could not find a ground strap from the block to firewall like on my old 289 67. i was wondering if the 351c 70 cougar was grounded differently.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
The 70 Cougar, or at least the ones I have owned only ground from the block to the battery. I have always installed an extra engine ground at the firewall. Just my 2 cents:)

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there was a braided flat cable went from the block to the firewall.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know thats a ground strap, i wanted to know if the 70 cougar w 315c had a ground strap and if so, where it is located.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
It was a combination wire leading from the battery. It is now an obsolete item that can be picked up from some of the Cougar Vendors. People typically have problems with their ground on the 1970 Cat when they replace it with a normal wire.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
The 351C 70 was located on the pass. side from the block to the heater motor bolt.

Rick

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
70 block/chassis ground

My wife's 70 Mach 1 is an all-original unrestored car. Mustangs and Cougars are assembly line brothers. That means that they are the same under the skin.

OK, now with that out of the way, I can tell you that a 70 does not have a separate braided ground strap at the back of the motor. The factory negative battery cable had an additional lug in the middle that fastened to one of the voltage regulator bolts, thus giving the chassis ground, and then on to the front of the engine block near the bottom (engine ground). You can get the correct cable at any Mustang vendor.

On my Cats I went with 0-gauge battery cables for extra grunt power to the starter. For the negative cable I used a short 0-gauge battery cable to the voltage regulator bolt, then a short 'eyelet to eyelet' 0-gauge cable from there to the block ground bolt. If you ground your cat right it will do away with the flickering headlight syndrome and also eliminate a bunch of those pesky sneak (feedback) circuts.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i am just getting started on sorting the electricals on this car. I noticed that all the light are very dim, it does not have the correct ground cable arrangement, i will fix that this weekend (thanks a bunch for the info y'all) Also the sequential box looks smaller than others i have seen, probably a solid state replcement unit or somthing??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts