Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum. I will be leaving to pick up my '67 in the next week or two.

I know the headlights need new vacuum lines. What I am wondering is if anyone has seen a grille to span the front end and eliminate the flip up? My buddy has a '84 chevy with the grille covering the headlights and I really like the stealthy look.

My other interest would be in electric motors. Has anyone achieved this?

Thanks guys

-Jeramy

·
Registered
389 Posts
lots of people have converted them to electric motors via ford probe motors. google it and you'll find it. someone here has a sweet white one, cant recall his name on here, but he'll chime in shortly im sure...anyway, he's got electric motors in it. some on youtube as well.

·
Registered
913 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Dude! No chevy on the cat!!! I honestly don't know why one would consider changing the hideaways to something else. Electric I could see but to eliminate the hideaways would take away the cougar of the car! Just my opinion. I really love the headlights and appearance of the front of my 68. That and the tail lights are what really make the car for me.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Bruce Habel wrote a tech article that used to be posted on The Classic Cougar Network website on how to convert to electric covers. The article is not up anymore but maybe you could contact him for a copy. His email was in this topic. Do a conversion to electric motors but don't change the grille.
Steven

http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?41756-RE-Bruce-Habel

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I phrased it wrong.. the electric conversion was my first choice.. the hidden assembly was just a fun idea to entertain. Keeping the same look up front but eliminating the need to flip back when the headlights are powered on. I was wondering if there was a specific cougar grille for it not using chevy parts! haha

Thanks for the help. I'll search it out.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Go to you-tube and type "67-68 cougar". Then click on the first option that comes up. It's the conversion I did. You can watch the video and decide what to do next. Good luck man!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
OH forgot after ready chevy,,, LOL Welcome to the forum! You will learn a lot here and don't be afraid to ask. Believe me everyone here is very helpful!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! I guess I should have posted a intro thread first. I appreciate the help guys. Will search around next time!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
The electric conversion is fantastic. You'll never regret it. I got everything I needed from home depot for about $15, plus a welder and grinder and taking the headlights apart.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts