Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have completely disassembled the head light and grill assembly, drilling through the rivets that hold the chrome grill to the black back-grill. My observation was that when drilling through the rivets the metal that makes up the solid black grill seems to be very soft. I want to sand blast the paint off the black part, but am unsure. Is blasting this similar to die-cast metal a good idea or is there a better way to strip the black paint off?

Also, my grills are pretty pitted and the chrome is coming off, anyone know where I can get these things re-chromed in Houston???

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
You can blast the paint off, but if the front, exposed chrome part is good, you'll want to duct tape the fronts and blast from behind, this is what I do on my 69 grills.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i would not sand blast any part of the grill--may cause warpage---i did have mine soda blasted---does not effect the chrome or base metal but removes the paint---be sure to wash the part prior to paint
doctordesoto

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just took a regular scuff pad to mine and the old paint came right off. I also washed mine in dawn dish soap before paint obviously.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I spoke with Don at WCCC and he said it would be if I lightly sand blasted everything except for the chrome grills, so I did and they came out fine. Now it's time to repaint them, what sort of paint should I use on what used to be the black part of the grills?? Also any recommendations for primer??

·
Registered
152 Posts
SEM 39143 Trim Black paint works good as it's self etching paint that doesn't require primer (as it will say on the can). I used BULLDOG adhesive promoter too as it helps paint bond to pot metal (which is what the grills are made of).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SEM 39143 Trim Black paint works good as it's self etching paint that doesn't require primer (as it will say on the can). I used BULLDOG adhesive promoter too as it helps paint bond to pot metal (which is what the grills are made of).
I would use the BULLDOG first I presume?? Where can I buy these products???

·
Registered
152 Posts
I bought them at an automotive paint store in my town. The bulldog goes on first then the paint. I followed the directions on the cans and it all worked out well. The bulldog ain't cheap, but its some wicked stuff. Definitely no smoking allowed that paint booth!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good deal, sounds like I need to make some calls. Have you done any restoring of you rear tail lamp grill's?? If so what step did you take to get them back to life? any re-chroming?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Haven't done anything to mine yet. They're in ok condition but I need to research that idea as well. I'll be interested to see what others say.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts