Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got hom from the Fabulous Fords show at Knotts. Man that is just a great show. If you are a Ford Junkie, this is your FIX. Loads of cars and not to mention almost 60 cats. Lots of great looking Cougars. I was parked next to (2) 427 GTE cars. One was totally restored and awesome and the other was in totally original looking like crap mode. They were total twins with the exception of condition.

I got a lot of nice compliments on my ride. You all know how that feels!!!! Also nice to see everyone out there appreciating Cougars. Can't wait for next year.

Zoli

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
yeah i was there too :D good show and a good turnout of Cougars this year. killer looking GTE's out there too. too many Stangs of course as usual. but thats a given :)

·
11,000 Posts
Yup, great show and good to see all my old friends from So Cal Cougar Club. Beverly Pike made me pay my dues!

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Had a great time as well spending time with my Cougar friends.
I also Met Dan Gurney.
Royce, I am sorry I missed you heard you were there for a short time.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
hey Royce, i dont think i got a chance to meet ya this year. unless i was talking to you and didnt know otherwise. slept very little the night before so i wasnt at the best attention today lol.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Dan Gurney?

Sounds like a great show.......was Dan Gurney there in connection with the cougars or ford in general?

·
11,000 Posts
I talked to Dyno Done Nicholson for a while. Stuart Hyman (owner of one of the GTE's) had two magazines from 1968 with Don's Eliminator Funny car on the cover. Don was telling us stories about running those cars back in the day. He is really a nice guy.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
who owned the other GTE? the rougher of the two? was still a sweet car. droooool :)

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
His name is Bill Somsak, he's owned it since '72

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
hmm only half the pic shows up. but i still dont have a name to that face. maybe one of the old guys can ID him :D jk jk

·
11,000 Posts
That's Don Nicholson. He raced a 68 Cougar Funny car in 1968 and 69. Was the first Funny car in the 7's among other achievements. Raced a Boss 429 Cougar in 1969 / 70 Pro Stock. Pulled the Boss 429 out and installed a 427 wedge to make the car competitive.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Man i missed everyone i looked for royce i hung around steves car and stuart hymans and even hung around tims vert for a bit but nobody was there you all were out admiring others ride i suppose. anyone check out that trick 56 extended cab pickup with the blown 312! talk about AWESOME! Always enjoy seeing Stuarts GTE and many of the other faithfull. good turnout for the cats this year best showing yet.

·
Registered
794 Posts
man I am so pissed. sorry I missed you guys, I had to take care of a sick wife and kids. Oh well, have to wait until next year...

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
cougarguy said:
Man i missed everyone i looked for royce i hung around steves car and stuart hymans and even hung around tims vert for a bit
you just reminded me that i didnt see Tims car at all. weird. oh yeah..... i dont remember seeing the 312 Pickup.... but you see the 2 Thunderbolts? :D killer. even though i think one was a replica.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I didn't meet any of you guys, cept Steve, and the owner of the cat from Dusk Til Dawn (I feel like a jerk for not remembering his name..). Speaking of twins, Zogman, did you see that other Grabber Blue 70 vert?

I was kind of bummed, 3 orange Cougars showed up this year besides mine, but at least mine was different than the others! Somehow I felt I couldn't compete with the 428 SCJ Drag Pak car a bit down the row, though.

I took tons of pics of the show, I'll put them up on my site when I get my DSL back. My non-Cougar highlights:

Shelby Cobra Daytona o_O. I don't think I'll ever see one of those again.
Original Competition Model 427 Shelby Cobra, 1 of 25ish cars, I've met the guy before and he's cool, and his car rocks.
427 T-Bolt cars.....my god, one of the T-Bolts came into the show right behind us, and it sounded like it had evil incarnate under the hood. It was AWESOME.
62 Galaxie with a 427 Cammer in it

I really should be posting pics instead of talking about these cars, eh? Soon!

I'm taking the Cougar out to Riverside this weekend, with some improvements over it's condition at Knott's....anyone heading out there?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Damn Jason, I would have loved to meet you. Hopefully next time. I must have missed your car, but I do remember seeing a few Orange cats. Maybe we can meet at the next So. Cal Meeting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts