Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the fan drive clutch and fan off the 68 cougar today
to clean and paint. The previous installer packed some grease
into the coil spring and of coarse some residue had spun
out over the front. After cleaning, I found the
condition of the unit was very good as the grease stopped any
corrosion. The person who put it together seemed to know what they were doing as there was anti-seize compound on the threads of the bolts
that hold the fan onto the aluminum clutch, which is a good idea
when working with dis-similar metals. Is this a common practice when putting these together and should I pack some grease into
the coil spring the same way when re-installing?

:1poke:

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I think he did that to keep the shaft from freezing. A little grease might not be a bad idea...

Bruce

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Hmmmmm...I don't think I'd add grease...'course I'm in Sunny Southern California...;)

But seems to me the freezing angle oughta be a non-issue with everything sitting behind the radiator...but hey, again, that's from So-Cal...haven't lived in the freezing north since '74

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya, thanks for the input guys but I don't think freezing (if you mean cold Temps) is an issue because there is nothing to freeze
unless moisture gets in around the spring, and then it would
soon melt and dry out where it is nice and warm behind the rad
anyway. Well it won't mater because the internal fluid started leaking out of the fan clutch anyway after the fan and hub were
painted and ready to reassemble. Need new clutch which
I got at Ideal Supply.

Doug

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Doug, I meant freezing as "becoming stuck", not cold.That shaft turns with the temperature to adjust fluid coupling in the clutch. So the fan turns faster when it's hot...

Bruce

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK Bruce, thats how I first understood what you meant by
freezing or seizing. But the fluid statred to leak out
and it is junk. Too bad, it was probably the original
Ford part and 35 years old.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
It is too bad, I don't think anyone rebuilds those anymore..I miss the days when you could repair instead of replace. I guess I'm dating myself by that statement...

Bruce

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
*LOL* Sorry for the misinterpretation of "freeze" - I guess I'm a product of my youth...was taunted mercilessly (ok, semi-mercilessly) by my uncle on the difference between "seize" and "freeze" as an impressionable young lad (ummmm...not that I am no longer either, mind you)...

He'd say something like "yeah, it might freeze if it gets cold enough, but I think you probably should worry more about it SEIZING" *insert eye roll here*

1 - 8 of 8 Posts