Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question. I'm rebuilding my motorcraft carb. It's time to put the rubber umbrella valve in. What type of grease should be used for this? All I had was lithium grease, wasn't sure so I didn't do it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Huh? Umbrella valve? Grease in a carburator? :confused:
I've rebuilt a lot of carbs and don't recall ever greasing an internal part. Please clarify.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure no problem. This is from the rebuild kit installation notes: "When installing umbrella check valve, coat surface with grease, then carefully push valve through hole in casting until fully seated." This little rubber plug is between the pump diaphragm spring and the body of the carb.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Wow. I had never heard of that. See, an "old dog" can learn new tricks! I would use a light lithium grease myself.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Is this the valve you're talking about? If so, I would go with any light grease. The idea of the grease is for the stem to slide through the hole easily.

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
I've always used vasoline for those type jobs, it dissolves in gasoline but white lithium should be ok, it dissolves in oil so gas should dissolve it even faster.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts