Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to put the new Upper control arms in today and the 90 deg. fittings they came with bashed into the sides of the shock tower. So, I went to kragen and got some lower profile 90 deg. fittings. (this saved me an 1/8" on both sides.
Now the arm will fit, but I cant get the grease gun on the fitting. The gun tip hits the side of the tower and will not go completely on.

SO, anyone have ideas? I thought that if I could find a long straight fitting I could replace the short straight fitting on the end of the 90 deg. I purchased. I could not find any at the store.

Thanks for the help, sorry for the ramble.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i also need an answer to this question... i have been told however that there is a needle nose style grease fitting that may work for this. i havent seen it though. i tried to lube my UCA bushings but ive never been able to do it. well, i got one of them.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Yes you can get a needle fitting for the end of your grease gun. I have one and it is usefull from time to time and it will do the job at hand. I have seen some kits advertised with fittings that stick out away from the shock towers but no experiance with them.

My 69 Torino I once owned had torch cut holes in the shock towers done by the previous owner for access to the upper arm grease fittings. It looked like pure hell but it did work. Now I'm not advocating anyone doing such though.mm

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mark. I will look around for the needle fitting. How long is the skinny part of the fitting? It looks tight as hell next to that brake line.

Dont suppose anyone has the bushing torque specs? My 67 shop manual does not list the tq specs for bushings. Just the bolts that attach it to the tower. It should be the same for 67-73.

I need to center the 2 bolts on bushing on one of the arms. It is so off that I cant even test fit it. As you can see, the one that fits is very tight.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Just go to the auto parts and tell them that you want a needle. You will undertand it when you see it. You just stick it in the end of the fitting, it dosent go around it. I have a small u joint on the mower on the back of my tractor that I use the needle on all the time as its in a bad spot behind a shield and it helps. mm

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
picked one up at pep boys today for 10 bucks. Works like a charm. Dammit Mark, what would I do without you?

sixt9, here is a pic of what it looks like:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Great, now if I could just hear my wife tell me that!LOL A man never has enough tools and gadgets. mm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts