Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am trying to get a grant steering wheel to work with the horn, on a '68, with the Tilt-a-Way column. I have the kit they call out, but it doesnt work with the horns.

Anyone come across this before?

Any help would be appreciated!

Gary

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
The horn did work before you changed the wheel? You kept your wires straight through the new plates, and the plates are pointed the right direction up? I usually have the other problem, in that the horn wants to be on all the time. In that case, one of the guys here on the board recommended that you cover the inside of the horn button with black electrical tape.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The horn did work before starting. The problem is, we got everything done, and the horn wouldnt go off, until we actually depressed the horn button, and MADE contact. Then it stopped.
The install kit called out by Grant is a one wire kit, and I think we need a 2 wire kit, as there are 2 posts, that rode on 2 separate tracks on the back of the old wheel. These were insulated from each other, for whatever reason. My hunch is, it has something to do with the tilt-a-way column.

All of the pictures on the Grant web site are the same picture, so there is no way to really tell whats what.

Hopefully someone can can set me straight, because I just know I am missing something.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My Grant adaptor kit said to install a horn relay. That is how they get away with one post. The spring in the post will burn up and they have a tech discussion on why this happens

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts