Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone can help me find the correct horn kit for my 67 non tilt, with the classic wooden wheel. I searched the forums, can't seem to find a definitive answer. I have a #3294 kit now, there's no way to connect the horn, and it's about 5/8" gap where it meets the column.

I called the Grant wheel tech line, had a women (with very poor english) insist this is the right kit.
All the listings I found include the Moosetang, but not for the Cougar. Anybody know for sure what kit I need? Thanks, Bruce

·
Registered
160 Posts
its the correct one, i'm using it (69, part 3294 is the same as the 67). the base with the copper rings is split because its a two wire horn. You mount one plate for one side of the horn then the other on top of that. Bolt it down a bit, then put the cover plate and the wheel. Torque down the bolt and it should close the gap, put the horn button and youre done.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but how close is the wheel to the column on yours? 67 and 69 use the same? On mine, there's huge gap between the the dish and column. I'll take another look tomorrow and post back. I'm wondering if I got one that was boxed wrong. Thanks again, Bruce

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
The directions I had stated that there may be a gap between the wheel and the column. Said to loosen the column bracket and shift the column out to meet the wheel. Instead of adjusting my car to the wheel, I took the thick mounting base that came with the wheel to the grinder and ground it down the distance of the gap. Adjusted the wheel to my car.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The directions I had stated that there may be a gap between the wheel and the column. Said to loosen the column bracket and shift the column out to meet the wheel. Instead of adjusting my car to the wheel, I took the thick mounting base that came with the wheel to the grinder and ground it down the distance of the gap. Adjusted the wheel to my car.
I forgot about that but I didnt need to in my case, I'd do the same as ken or just leave it..

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
when i did my 64;s wheel i had to use 2 kits to make it fit/look correct

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the help. Really appreciate it. I'll take a look at it today, and report back.

The column adjustment sounds like a great idea, but I think the horn itself will be a pita

1 - 7 of 7 Posts