Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently installed a Grant wooden three spoke steering wheel in my sons 1968 Cougar. The indicator stalk is super close to the wheel and you cannot help but hit the indicator when turning. What is the common fix for this issue? We have seen this same steering wheel in many Cougars and Mustangs, but never paid any attention to the distance between the wheel and indicator stalk.
Thanks,
-Len

·
Registered
379 Posts
Thats odd, I have the same wheel in my 68 and have no problems, I did with my horn but fixed that with washers where the wheel bolts to the column.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Some aftermarket wheels are less "dished" than others. How 'bout unscrewing the indicator stalk and giving it a slight bend to provide some clearance.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
bending gives you a radial location problem---but throwing the turn signal stalk in a lathe and shorting the threaded end about 1" will probably cure your problem---i can't remember the thread size 0n the end(1/4-28 i think) but this worked on our 67
doctordesoto

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
On mine it's close as well, but I have learned to deal with it.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
bending gives you a radial location problem---but throwing the turn signal stalk in a lathe and shorting the threaded end about 1" will probably cure your problem---i can't remember the thread size 0n the end(1/4-28 i think) but this worked on our 67
doctordesoto
This would be my solution as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cut it down and it works like a champ.
Thanks,
-Len

·
Registered
379 Posts
Are you sure you are usuing the correct collar adapter? I'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid question.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, we used a Grant #3249 adapter with the 967-0 steering wheel.
-Len

1 - 9 of 9 Posts