Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a swap on a 69 Cougar that has manual drum. I would like to keep it manual w/ no booster. Questions:

1. Has anybody done this exact conversion?

2. What master cyl do I use?

3. What dist. block & press residual valve do I use?

4. What about outer tie rods?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
find a maverick that has manual disk brakes, and take the whole braking system. You can also use mid 70's truck with manual disks, rebuilt ones are like 50. and come with 2 pushrods (I bought one cuz I was going to do the swap in the fairlane but found a complete disk bake from the torino) and took it back. Make sure you use the prop valve for man. disk not power, so grab it off the donor car, or get a replacement. Go to www.themustangshop.com and then the how to's and they have the granada swap info there. Remember to use new wheel bearings, rebuild the calipers or get new rebuilds, and NEW PADS. Good luck, dont skimp on brakes please.

Rick

·
Registered
89 Posts
On my 70, I had used the spindles from a 77 Granada, along with the discs, calipers and brake hoses. The tie rods went right into the Granada spindles with no problem. I like the Granada spindle better since it is quite beefier. My system is still manual, I had used the Granada master cylinder that has the two different sized reservoirs---the bigger is for the calipers in front. I had to switch my lines since the original Cougar"s reservoirs were in opposite positions. I did not change my proportioning valve. In fact, this Cougar stops the best out of the 3 that I have driving. If I ever do lock 'em up---they all lock up. My other two Cougars were both factory disc and have excessive pressure to the rear--causing the rear to lock-up and make the car spin around.
The Granada discs are cheaper--about 1/2 of Cougar discs, and usually in stock at the local parts store.
I also used Granada discs on my 69 that originally had power disc from the factory. I just changed the outer bearing and they fit using the Cougar calipers---they have been on there for 4 years with no problems.

Mark Piechowski
70 XR-7 460 AOD
69 SS 351c 2v AOD
70 XR-7 conv 351c 4v FMX
69 Sunroof Eliminator 351w 4v FMX

·
Registered
425 Posts
I did the swap on my 68 Mustang, I used 75 Maverick spindles rotors and calipers. I also had to use the tie rod ends from the Maverick. I did not change the master cylinder , proportioning valve or anything else. I did this swap 10 years ago and havent ever had the brakes lock up. It is an easy swap. I had a friend who was parting out the 4 Door Maverick ,so I helped myself to all the hardware. also used the PS control valve and Cylinder. Good luck!

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Bill I myself have to agree with the catz on the res valve etc is hooeyish. I've done countless disc conversions and never added anything other than discs to system and even used same master many times. Prob with mDrum master on disc is the size of reservoir is small for calipers if care is not taken to ensure its full all time so calipers don't dry the bowl. I hear there's a manual disc granada master dunno. Catzya

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Forgot you use the granada spindles and outer tie rods but beware that granada hubs are bigger and do not fit certain wheels

1 - 6 of 6 Posts