Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever done the Granada/Monarch front disc brake conversion? I am thinking about doing this to my 68 front drum cougar. Any problems during the swap?
thanks

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Funny you should ask...

Since I'm doing the Granada disc swap to my 66 Comet.

Any of the Fairlane-inspired front suspension cars should accept this swap with no problems. I had the boneyard cut everything off my donor Granada. Spindles, calipers, dust shields, master cyl, junction block (only needed since I'm going from single to dual master) etc. Disc brake cars have a larger resevoir section for the front brakes. They are also proportioned (front to rear brake balance) differently. From what I have read, the outer tie rods will be different so plan to buy new ones there. Also, some early steel wheels may not have the clearance for the disc brake calipers. My Comet has its stock body color 14x5" :eek: wheels and (get this) a set of 6.45-14 skinny bias tires (double :eek: ) so I know they ain't gonna work. I kept a set of 14x6" wheels from a disc brake car.

Also needed (well, a good idea anyway) are to replace your ball joints, both upper and lower since you have it this far apart anyway... Now would also be a good time to replace your control arm bushings, too! Don't forget the strut rod bushings. Of course, you'll also need some new brake line hoses. Also, since everything else is gonna be new, what the heck, how 'bout a new idler arm?....Adjusting sleeves,....... You will probably be better off getting a complete front suspension rebuild kit from one of those aftermarket vendors.

OK, for those who hate to read through the paragraphs:

Ball joints, upper and lower
Control arm bushings, upper and lower
Strut rod bushings
Outer tie rods
Brake hoses
Master cylinder
Brake rotors
Brake pads
Wheel bearings
Grease seals
Reconditioned brake calipers

Not needed, but whattheheck items:

Adjusting sleeves
Inner tie rod ends
Idler arm

You'll note that since you're replacing most everything up there, and there's no way to accurately replace these new steering/suspension components, you will need the services of your local front end alignment shop when you're done. Drive there veeeerrrrry carefully, or better yet, have it towed there.

You did remember to check your wheels for caliper clearance, didn't you?

Have fun!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did this upgrade on a 67 Mustang, I went from non power drum to power disc. If you go to power you will need to change the brake pedal as well. Everything is a direct bolt on but you will need new outer tie rod ends. I used the
tee from the donor car as well, before you take it out mark the flow route (right front left front rear etc., Its a great easy to do up grade.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I did this swap on my 70 XR-7. I went from non-power drum to non-power disc. I used the spindles, discs, calipers, hoses used the Granada dust sheilds. I also used the Granada's master cylinder, you have to swap the front and rear lines since he front wheels are now controled by the back reservoir.
I used the Cougars tie rods and did not change the proportioning valve. So far, I have only locked up the wheels once, and it was all four wheels that locked up . It seems to have much better stopping then my 69 Cougar that has factory power disc. The 69 loves to lock up the rears, I remember one time Cathy was folowing me driveng the 69 and someone had pulled out in front of her and I glanced in the rear-view mirror and see the 69 going sideways with tire smoke all around it. By thie time I pulled over she was on the side of the road---but facing the wrong way. She was o-k, and with the 460 in my 70 I had no problem catching up to the jerk that pulled out in front of her and cussed him out-----what fun.

Mark Piechowski
70 XR-7 460 AOD
69 SS 351c 2v AOD
70 XR-7 conv 351c 4v FMX
69 Sunroof Eliminator 351w 4v FMX

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Mark Piechowski
70 XR-7 460 AOD
69 SS 351c 2v AOD
70 XR-7 conv 351c 4v FMX
69 Sunroof Eliminator 351w 4v FMX
Did you recently change your screen name by any chance? These beasties sound familiar... :p

Cougrrcj

1 - 5 of 5 Posts