Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, an air cleaner assembly for $12 delivered, now an NOS Cougar electric clock for (what I think) is a darn good price. It's my lucky week, I think.

·
11,000 Posts
Ebay has changed Cougar collecting. Enjoy the NOS parts available right now, this is the best availability ever. That clock listed for close to that price 15 years ago if a dealer could find it in Ford's supply system.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Ebay has changed Cougar collecting.
It sure has. Most of the people that I used to trade parts with or purchase from or see at swap meets now price things according to what they "can get for it on ebay". Has anyone else noticed how many "RARE" parts there are for sale on ebay? :p: :p: :p:
But I too am guilty. I have found a lot of parts there and paid more than I should have to get them. It is definitely a sellers market.
I do try very hard to remember the "dealers" that drive the prices up and then try to resell them a month or two later with a reserve higher than they paid. I refuse to buy from them. :angryfi:
Case in point: Wheel opening moldings. Sorry guys, but if you want to drive the price up over $500 a set you can have 'em.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Rktmn,

That all depends on location and availability. Some parts have been out of the parts books for fifteen or twenty years. If you're trying to restore a car to concours status, and you absolutely need those parts, well, you gotta pay the going rate.

Back when I was actively playing with my Cats twenty years ago, I bought up a supply of parts that I'd need to put them back together. Now it turns out the NOS parts I have stashed in the rafters are worth more than the whole car.

Case in point. When was the last time you saw a set of NOS wheel opening mouldings for the 71-73s? The others are all available as repops, but the 71-3s are pretty darn rare. When I told a couple people that I had a set of NOS rocker mouldings for the 71-3s, they about s**t. Same went for the NOS rear valence panel. Then when I told this same person that I had a set of 71-3 XR-7 door/windowsill mouldings, I guess I hit him with the 'holy grail' of 71-3 parts! He wants them bad!

Me? The parts aren't worth putting on my rust-bucket cars, no matter how much work I put into them. Let those Concours-judged guys go nuts over the parts I saved way back when. They can have 'em -- for a price!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I readily agree that what you would pay or I would pay may be miles apart for the same item. That's one of the things that makes ebay work. After all, it is an auction. I admit to paying more than my common sense tells me it's worth simply because I need it or really want one and can't find one. I just get a little tired of being out bid by the same guys who buy them simply to resell them at an even higher price a month or two later. Of course the concourse restorers are going to pay, they have no choice. It just irks me that there are people who have no interest in promoting the hobby, just inflating their bank accounts. They drive up the prices for the rest of us.
I was talking to a guy at a swap meet last month who told me that he lists his Mustang parts on ebay as Cougar parts because he can charge more for them. If people are new to the hobby and don't know that the parts are the same they get screwed.
I know, buyer beware and all that, but I guess I'm a softy - it just rubs me the wrong way.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Know what you mean. I have really went a little crazy lately on e-bay but I sure have gotten some really nice stuff. After the $300 door panels and the $200 taillights, the wife officially put me on e-bay restriction until after Christmas.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Know what you mean. I have really went a little crazy lately on e-bay but I sure have gotten some really nice stuff. After the $300 door panels/interior and the $200 mint taillights, the wife officially put me on e-bay restriction until after Christmas.

Oh yea, forgot the 500hp+ 460 I just picked up this past weekend. I think that one put her over the edge. A mans gotta have his toys!!

·
Registered
694 Posts
I would have to agree with most all you guys said.......since I've gotten back into the cougars I have bought and sold parts on ebay. I somewhat aggressively seek out parts and mostly am just stocking up on them while they are still around. I also sell some parts here and there to help with cost of restoring my XR7G. In my racing activities, I have sponsors to help with costs but in cougars it's about all I can do to make it possible.
I agree,though.....when I click on something if I see a high first bid or a reserve I typically shy away. Especially if it is from a few individuals I have seen enough from. I appreciate the big vendors for what they do and they have to eat, but I know where to find them if I need to, and I've yet to buy anything on ebay from a select few. I do enjoy selling parts when I know it helped someone out and it does help me,too. That's why unless it's something really rare or substantial.....it typically goes for no reserve price so those bidding truly dictate what it goes for. I'm just happy ebay is there to give us another outlet to find parts....Keith

·
Registered
11 Posts
i scored on e-bay in the spring.... got a tach dash cluster,with trip meter, and the whole under dash wiring harness for 72 bucks :0)..

.e-bay may drive up the price on lots of things...but truth be known.. it's probley cheaper for me to pay "that" higher price on e-bay than driving to a swap meet 6 hours away,getting a hotel room, buying food,etc etc......i wish there was more cougars in my local junk yards but a feller can't have everything i guess jace

·
Registered
123 Posts
Being totally new to the online auction world, is there an easy way or area on e-bay where a person can find cougar parts? I have to admit I'm clueless as to how to go about parts shopping there. Also, are trere any other"tricks"as to help not getting the shaft besides what has allready been mentioned? Thanks for the help! I'm a real"newbie" when it comes to this stuff. Bob

·
11,000 Posts
Go to their website:
www.ebaymotors.com

There is a search box on the left side of the page. Put the word Cougar in that box and click a check mark in the little box below that says search in titles and descriptions.

Then click on the go button or push the enter key on your keyboard. You will be presented with something like 700 parts to browse through.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
baddad said:
Being totally new to the online auction world, is there an easy way or area on e-bay where a person can find cougar parts? I have to admit I'm clueless as to how to go about parts shopping there. Also, are trere any other"tricks"as to help not getting the shaft besides what has allready been mentioned? Thanks for the help! I'm a real"newbie" when it comes to this stuff. Bob
Two of the biggest tricks I know are:

- Look for parts from other cars that interchange with the Cougar

- Snipe. That means bid as close to the end of the auction as possible. This practice is frowned upon by eBay, but it's not against the eBay auction rules, and sometimes it's the only way to get what you want.

The biggest secret I know, I'll keep to myself, for now... :D

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks Gents!! I'll give it a try.
66pony: since I also own 2 stangs and a cougar any chance you would share that last trick? (Hey, it's worth a try!!)
How can I find out about parts interchange? I did see a book advertised for stangs, but does anything exist for cougars ?
Thanks again and happy turkey day! Baddad

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
baddad said:
Thanks Gents!! I'll give it a try.
66pony: since I also own 2 stangs and a cougar any chance you would share that last trick? (Hey, it's worth a try!!)
How can I find out about parts interchange? I did see a book advertised for stangs, but does anything exist for cougars ?
Thanks again and happy turkey day! Baddad
Heh! Even MORE of a reason to keep it to myself! Actually, it has nothing to do with Cougars or Mustangs, it's just a human nature trick I figured out.

Re: parts exchange, the Hollander manuals will work for Cougars and all other cars, but no one has whittled down a Cougar-only version. I purchased the Mustang version both to help with the 'stang, and to use backwards referencing for Cougars, since they share many parts.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Cougrrcj said:
Rktmn,
Back when I was actively playing with my Cats twenty years ago, I bought up a supply of parts that I'd need to put them back together. Now it turns out the NOS parts I have stashed in the rafters are worth more than the whole car.
He ain't kiddin. I've seen his rafters...:eek2:

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
He ain't kiddin. I've seen his rafters...
... And Chas has seen my cars, too! :D :p:

Oh, and watch it Chas, or the next time you get a load of my spare parts, the price might go up! j/k ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Swap meets are becoming a thing of the past, Of course around here all I could see was Chevy Crap!

·
Registered
8 Posts
You spend too much on ebay?

I'm the one that needs to stop looking at ebay. Over the last 48 hours I have purchased:

460 Crank
Tunnel Ram with 2 600cfm Carbs w/Laughing Gas
Water pump
Valve covers
Oil pan
Marine distributor
A regular intake for those long trips;
Another carb for that intake
Headers (paid too much)
l also am in the process of purchasing some stuff for the 351C that I currently have.

The prices seem to be good though. Haven't spent as much as most of you probably have though. I am trying to pick up a couple of fenders, but someone else wants them pretty bad too. I just can't wait to put that built 460 into my 72 Cat Convertible!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
watch out for the ebay/paypal scam
that is going around.
got one today asking for
account information
don"t be fooled

·
Registered
906 Posts
Yes, ebay really has changed parts hunting. I just got back from Turkey Rod Run at Daytona Speedway. After sifting through acres of rusty chevy parts I found the Mustang Masters booth. My God were their prices high! $175 for a seatbelt and retractor, $600 steering wheels, $70 for small chrome bits, $300 for a rusty air cleaner lid, $800 toploader, $275 4 spd shifter, etc. I didn't even ask on the rows and rows of consoles. If someone had told me that there was a part in there under $50, I would have called them a liar. All the prices, though, were identical to the highest bid that kind of item had ever fetched on ebay. What, I ask you all, happened to the good days of swap meets?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts