Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the starter tested by oreily's a few months back. Motor turned smooth when it was out of the car. but now that it's hooked back up to the c-4 and I turn the key I get a hard clank. Noticed starter cable is getting hot. Tried hitting side of starter. My guess either bad starter or something is bound up on the trans?

Thanks
Chuck

·
Registered
636 Posts
Are you sure the starter is not binding on the flywheel? I take it the motor rotates freely and the transmission?

·
Registered
447 Posts
you did not get the converter in the trans completely
pushes on the flex plate and the converter studs and counter weight
are hitting the plate between the motor and trans
you are going to have to pull the engine back out //or drop the trans
to seat the converter

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was figuring something like that. When I seated the torque converter onto the trans spline shaft it seemed to go all the way in and I was able to allign the motor and trans. I can pull the starter and see if I can rotate the flywheel with a cheater bar. How do I know if the torque converter is seated all the way?

·
Registered
913 Posts
I had the same problem, It turned out that one of the flywheel bolts was to long and was hitting the block.

·
Registered
447 Posts
you are going to pull the starter any way
and remove the trans to engine bolts
the engine and trans should seperate when you take the bolts out
with the bolts out of the trans the engine should turn with a breaker bar on the
crank shaft bolt
once you have the trans and the engine seperated and have access to the torque converter
spin the converter and apply slight pressure to the converter towards the rear of the trans
you will get a 'clunk' noise and the converter will slightly recess into the trans
now it is seated in the trans and should bolt up normally if it does not slip back out during assembly
good luck , we have all had to do this more than once !

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Dr. Art That is great step by step advise. There's a lot going on when the motor and trans are getting aligned. Have the trans jacked up as far as I can so when the engine comes in there is enough room to line them up and still clear the motor mounts. Do I need to get the motor mounts undone again and get the cherry picker hooked back up or can I run a piece of all thread through one of the holes to keep the motor/trans somewhat aligned.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the bolts backed out pull the trans apart about a half inch then could turn the crank. was thinking of unbolting the motor mounts at the motor then get the cherry picker back on. and trans supported. That way I'm not coming in diagnal but going forwards backwards.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts