Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if i want to reuse the old headers. they have individual flanges instead of a one piece and they are kind a beat up.
I wish i had the stock manifolds. Better still would be a pair of shorties for a 351C 4v.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
If I had money, Id offer to buy them off you, but cant even afford to pay attention. FPA has nice headers, check them out.

Rick

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seem that the PO only used this small bit of gasket. i found no other trace of gasket anywhere. no wonder it leaked bad. lol.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
You are better off if your headers have individual flanges! Otherwise, if they are all together you have to be very careful that the mating surface is absolutely straight across all four ports. With individual flanges there is a little 'give' if one isn't on par with the others. My buddies and I have given up on header gaskets. We use a small, thin schmear of hi-temp silicone on a clean surface, bolt the headers down and wait at least a day before firing the engine up. We've had fewer leaks this way, and if we do get a leak, it is much smaller than a regular blown gasket. Now get rid of those Cherry Bomb mufflers and have a set of full pipes made up that exit at the rear valence...

I've seen some 351C-4V exhaust manifolds going relatively cheap on Ebay lately. Some people are really dreaming, asking $200 for the pair to start, but others start as low as $40/pr. Patience!

BTW, what size are those aluminum slots (wheels) you have there next to the headers in the pic... Hint-hint-hint. Maybe we can work out some sort of deal... My old manifolds for... :D

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the cherry bombs are going to go for sure, that was the exhaust system, no other pipes. I think i will try to clean these headers up and reuse them. Thanks for the tips Cougrrcj.
the slots are 14" i have five of them, they came with the 65 galaxie (wich uses 15"rims). I plan on putting them on my 70 xr7 and getting rid of the craigers.

·
5,470 Posts
Ahhhh rats! I'm really looking for a set of 15x7 slots! 14 inchers I have.

·
5,470 Posts
Header treatment

For my headers, I've had great luck with the high temp stainless paint that Eastwood sells. Have your headers blasted and then paint them with the Eastwood stainless paint. The stuff lasts for years even up here where there are severe weather changes. I had painted a set on one of my previous cars and they still looked great almost five years later -- no rust at all!

The Eastwood paint is better than anything else I have tried in my 25+ years of playing with cars. It can be thinned and sprayed with your normal paint spray gun. Looks fantastic! An even better thing is to have them ceramic coated, but that is expen$ive!

·
11,000 Posts
Wow! Cherry Bomb header muffs. Bet that had a real white trash sound with all those header leaks!

I used to run Cyclone headers and Thrush header mufflers on my first Cougar back when I was in high school. One girl's father heard it and said I would have to bring a different car to take his daughter on a date!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts