Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Right now, we have the scoop and spoiler mounted on, the taillights, and the whole car is primered the same color. It still has some rough body spots, and the grille needs to go back on. In the pic it has no grille, headlights, or front blinkers. All that stuff should be going back on this week. We were just taking it down to the gas station (It was out of gas)

More pics are here:
http://www.iz-us.com/images/cars/cougar/01-26-03_primered/

Basically just images of the stuff we customized. Blacked out the grille and taillights, cut all of the ribs out of the taillights as well.

It should be back together by next weekend, at which point I'm taking it cruisin'!

It looks awesome with the vinyl top gone and the scoop and spoiler on it.

Here's the taillights, cut up ala Steve (sixt9coug):

100% credit goes to him for the idea. :D

I need some new taillight lenses, but for now these will have to do.

Lemme know what you guys think.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
he he he.. bad aaaaaaaassss. at least im not the only one who has burnout pics lying around of the car :D i give it a 5

·
Registered
110 Posts
you got a nice back end... NO not like that ;)

you gona leave it like that??? or put the ribs things back on? looks nice with them off.

Are you getting different tail light lenses, or just new ones?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm leaving it this way. It took an awful lot of Dremel power to get those ribs off. o_O

I'm going to get new lenses, that are cleaner. You can still see where the ribs were on mine, and mine also have some nicks and scratches in them. If you look at the link up there you can see how my grille looks all painted up too, since I noticed you were interested in that.

I'll take pics of my front end once it's all back together, it should be done by next weekend.

·
Registered
110 Posts
cool thanks, I'll go check out the pics.

And why did you use a dremel to take them off. Was that the only way???? wierd

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ribs are a part of the taillight housing. It's all one metal piece.

I cut mine just because I liked the nice custom look of it. Kinda takes some of the over-chrome out of the rear.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got them both from Mustangs Unlimited.

The Scoop was...odd. I had to drill holes in the hood, then cut access holes on the inner layer of the hood to be able to put nuts on the scoop's bolts. It doesn't quite fit where the OEM scoop would. If the bolts were longer, it'd be good.

The spoiler had bolts that WERE long enough, and mounted great. Drilled 4 holes, and bing.

I haven't put the front spoiler on yet.

The Scoop was $80, the Spoiler was $129, and the front spoiler is $45

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
I like the rear end treatment kewl idea. and as long as your lenses arent cracked go to your local modeling store and get some canopy polish kits. it is the stuff we use to polish what else canopys on aircraft. it will have several diffrent grits and polishing compound and you can buff out all those scratches and remenants to the ribs. it works on lenses really nice better than toothpaste!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
toothpaste? i just use a mild rubbing compuond followed by hand glaze and that cleans up my lenses really wel. all by hand though, a machine will melt the lens and leave an ugly ass mark on them. ask me how i know lol jk jk

·
Registered
763 Posts
Seems like you love to give burnouts. I like it also, but why don't you try to install a locker. This way you get two rubber signatures on the road. It's so nice when people standing on each side of the car to see a wheel spin. GIVE 'EM WHAT THEY WANT!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh trust me, I'll be getting a locker as soon as I can. :) Right now we're working with a 2.78 non-locking rear, eventually we should be more like a 3.77 detroit locker.

That should be after the new AFR headed stroker is put in.

Which will be after we repaint it.

Which will be after I get my tax refund and annual bonus from work.

Long road ahead for the Cougar, I just hope I can leave some rubber on it. :D

·
Registered
763 Posts
I do not know for sure, but some people told me the detroit locker is not that good... It should make allot of noise. I have used a powertrax performance locker. Offcourse it rattles a bit when you take a curbe. But i have been in the States before, comparing to my local streets; You guys have only straight roads LOL.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts