Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In another thread recently posted, doctordesoto (Larry) recommended this tool so I bought one. It is the "Keysco Hustler Stick" #77175. What a jewel! I have used it on every Cougar that has come in with a crooked bumper for a week now and it works great. I about paid $135 delivered for it and in my opinion it paid for itself the second time I used it. This 68 xr7 that is owned by a local guy (he asked that I do not mention his name as he was embarrassed about his bumper fillers being installed upside down) rolled in the shop today and we had his bumper dialed in correctly in about 30 seconds.

<center>
How unsightly...

<center>

This DS side looked fine, the PS was off by a long shot!

<center>

One could make their own tool pretty easy. Just a bar with a chain and hook with the ability to adjust the length of the chain and a rubber foot to keep from scratching the chrome.

<center>

We actually find it works best to mount the chain further up like this, more leverage and the bumper has more strength here. Excuse the blurry shot.

<center>

There you have it! I think we will bring this to the Prowl this year and walk around to everyone's car who wants use of it. Anyone who stops by our shop with their Cougar is welcome to use it too.
</center> </center> </center> </center>
</center>

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Very very very cool. I love innovations.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Pardon my ignorance here but what is the principle behind the tool? Does it pull on the bumper thereby moving it out to align? Or, are you creating a point of leverage?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Is Brian making sure that the front bumber fillers are on correct on his Red GT-E. :1poke::grin34:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Is Brian making sure that the front bumber fillers are on correct on his Red GT-E. :1poke::grin34:
My first thought as well.

Sort of like when the blur a persons face but leave the name tag clearly visable.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pardon my ignorance here but what is the principle behind the tool? Does it pull on the bumper thereby moving it out to align? Or, are you creating a point of leverage?
Just plain old leverage. It is just as simple as it looks. Hook chain on bumper, place the foot end of the bar on a flat spot on the bumper and give a few tugs. Could not be more simple! I have done the same in the past with a 2x4" and nylon tie down strap but this is so much easier to set up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Next time i am home i'll check out my bumper and most likely need to stop by sometime over the summer!

·
Registered
568 Posts
It could be another local guy that happens to have a GT-E grill and argent paint on his car.... but who else would install his bumper fillers upside down? :1poke:

·
Registered
134 Posts
It could be another local guy that happens to have a GT-E grill and argent paint on his car.... but who else would install his bumper fillers upside down? :1poke:
Does he have red pinstripes and Goodyear tires? These are clues to help figure out the mystery... ;)

·
10,988 Posts
Hmmm it would look a lot better with the bumper fillers installed in the correct manner......

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
We have one of those at the shop. We use it to "hustle" all kinds of things back into alignment. For some retard-reason... I never thought to use it on my own bumpers though...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Crooked bumper

Yes please bring it to Prowl, you don't even have to look hard to find them including mine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Don, any chance on you renting that out? Maybe charge a deposit and then refund it when we send it back. Looks like it could help mine but I'd rather not pay $100+ for 1 use.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don, any chance on you renting that out? Maybe charge a deposit and then refund it when we send it back. Looks like it could help mine but I'd rather not pay $100+ for 1 use.
I thought about that but shipping x2 across the country would make the average guy want to just rig up his own 2x4 with a chain. Now if you already had an order coming from us with heavy items it would take the sting off the transportation costs!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
all though it seems like a lot of cash , this tool will do almost everything a porta power will do---i straightened the end of a frame rail on the desoto convertable in about 5 min without heat---you could tach a nut to your dimpled torque box , screw in an eye bolt a pull the dent out very easily---besides , when your buddys know you have one , the beer fridge will will get filled back up
doctordesoto

·
Registered
39 Posts
I thought about that but shipping x2 across the country would make the average guy want to just rig up his own 2x4 with a chain. Now if you already had an order coming from us with heavy items it would take the sting off the transportation costs!
Yeah, I thought shipping would be the biggest issue. Might just have to rig one or buy and try to get some of the money back on ebay.

Thanks for the idea. Like others, that crooked bumper bugs the crap out of me.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
No wonder my ears have been ringing!!

I haven't been on the board for a while (all weekend)..

Umm...this means this weekend the bumper came off and those babies got flipped around too??:eek: :lol:

Thanks for outing me, lol!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts