Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone put some thought into this GT-E when ordering.

XR7, Wellington Blue with Saddle interior, headrests, 3.50 Trac Loc,... heck here's the Marti report.

Two owner car with 30k miles. Check out that interior!

Original paint, you can see the detail of the pin striping. The current owner shared with us some of the notes from the original owner, dating back to 1968.

The Machine! Avery. Sophisticated piece of equipment, wide oval radials = B.F. Goodrich 990's (excellent). 6 grand @ 135mph. I expect 6600 in 3rd later.
My good friend has a fast GTO - '66 - 3 deuce 360 Hp, 389 w/ 3.55 gears (on 2 carb).

More to come, time to go home.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Ellsworth is a customer of ours. He inherited this car from a lifelong friend who was a very meticulous Electrical Engineer. It has spent all but a very short time of its life in TX, always garage kept, 100% original paint. He has all of the original smog in a box just as it was removed from the car when it was a baby. This is in my opinion, the best unrestored GTE in existence. Just in case you were wondering, it is not for sale. I would estimate the value of the car at $285,000.00, if it was mine that would be the price, very firm price. I love the color combo, look at the condition of the interior! Notice also the dealer added rear window defog.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Wow! I have no problem driving my cars around but I'd be a little nervous driving 'that' original paint car around the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area with all the dum__ss drivers we have here....

p.s. just bought some parts from you today Don!

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Machine! Avery. Sophisticated piece of equipment, wide oval radials = B.F. Goodrich 990's (excellent). 6 grand @ 135mph. I expect 6600 in 3rd later.
My good friend has a fast GTO - '66 - 3 deuce 360 Hp, 389 w/ 3.55 gears (on 2 carb).
He drove it (GT-E) when I had abt 300 miles on the speedo.
He will only run me rolling from 30mph to 110mph. He was sure he had no chance even at that. It catches rubber from 2nd to 3rd at 90mph (with an auto!)
The ride is only slightly ruff, (abt same as stock Chrysler product), but it is rock stable at 100mph with excellent stability. Low gear is something else.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Please correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Traction-loc not come out until 69-70?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Thanks for sharing this. It's been cool to see all these mint original cars surface. And this one is quite a treat to see.

·
11,000 Posts
The 4 pinion Traction Lock came out in 1968.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Traction-loc not come out until 69-70?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts