Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This '67 XR-7 GT 4 speed has been stored in a warehouse facility in Southern Michigan since 1971. 80.00 per month until 2010. Do that math! Now you know why I've been asking these cryptic questions about '67 GT specs and if they should have a fan shroud. I'm going with "not" on that one for now ;)

There isn't a good pic of the dash placquard yet, but it does have the name of the original owner and current title holder. I have the original Michigan Title that is hand written from April, 1967.

The owner was a Ford Computer programmer who started in '66 and he retired in "dealer developement" 30 years later. The carb started becoming leaky in 1971 and he couldn't get it going and put it away..then a few years later that facility was broken into, and strangely, the only thing stolen from the car was that defective Carb! Apparently they knew that it was a rare item ;)

Fast-Forward to 2010 and the Man got sick and tired of the bills for storage. His Brother in Law had a friend in the restoration business up in Traverse City, MI and talked him into buying it and resurrecting the engine. The man in Traverse City is a great guy. Once he and I got talking, he talked me into buying it, despite the fact that his son wanted it to go on Ebay. I have no idea what is worth on the open market, but it has 48K miles and is very very original and has a nice interior. It has tired paint, but is certainly presentable. I don't know a lot about the finer details of the chrome and the trim, but that it is "pretty good".

A nice original car back out onto the streets again, finally. Last I heard, It is somewhere West of Chicago and on it's way! This is a pretty special transaction to me, as Michigan holds a very warm place in my heart. Who knew a classic cat from Michigan would make it's way to the Northwest because of it's originality and cleanliness!?

By the way, I can in no way take credit for "finding" this car..it was mentioned off hand when Don Rush was selling the folks some parts. He asked if I was interested, I said no, not really! Then my dang hoarder-mind looking for a 4 speed with original paint took over..I kept bidding it up while the guy was telling me it'd go on Ebay soon. Then I ignored him for a week, he came back down to Earth, I bumped my offer up a notch, and the rest was history. I paid a little below retail, I assure you! But thanks again to Don Rush for his great timing and for thinkin' of me..he owed me for all the meals I'd bought him in Scottsdale, though. Haha..

I had to do what I had to do.. Now I have the best '68 I could imagine and the best '67 I can imagine, and finally have that 4 speed with original paint..

Don't hate me ;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Congratulations Brian! It's amazing to see a car that spent its entire life in Michigan and isn't rusted through. Sure looks like a keeper from where I'm sitting.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
You're killing me. Now you will need to buy a gooseneck three car trailer to bring them to "Prowl". My congrats' though. Seems like the barn cats are coming out of the woodwork now. Pat

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're killing me. Now you will need to buy a gooseneck three car trailer to bring them to "Prowl". My congrats' though. Seems like the barn cats are coming out of the woodwork now. Pat
We have to have something to look at inside my newly finished shop this Summer (or whenever the next WCCC get-together is!) :) It will be fun to drive either Sandy or the GT up there this year Pat! Can't wait to just enjoy the Cats and be able to relax and drive 'em this year!

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Great find, man.
Really great.

Looking forward to more pics of the delivery and the shined up ride on the road.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Oh man... that is too cool. Looks like a great find. Congrats Brian!

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Fantastic! Now you've done it. You just needed to wait for the right car and you've done extremely well, imo.
I can hear you missing 2nd now......BANG! Kidding again! CONGRATS

I'd sure love to drive that one over and take my mother for a ride. It is the sister of her 67 xr7 GT auto that she got when I was 7 and fell in love with and never out of!

Looking forward to MORE PICS

·
Registered
164 Posts
Nice car. I do love original.

More evidence of the fact that there are cars still out there. Maybe not in the numbers they used to be, but they are there.

Fran

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Sweet. My best find was an original 68 rear bumper that had been pulled off in 1971 and stored in a guy's garage until late last year when he sold it to me. I can't imagine how exciting it would be to find a whole car packed away like that. Thanks for the great story.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Color me GREEN with Envy !.... Congrats Nice score !

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Geez.... nothing like getting a Cougar pulled out from under your nose. Speaking for Ray and Jon as well....I think we all hate you and for this dasterly deed you are no long invited back to MI, unless you bring lots of beer as a peace offering...lol

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Geez.... nothing like getting a Cougar pulled out from under your nose. Speaking for Ray and Jon as well....I think we all hate you and for this dasterly deed you are no long invited back to MI, unless you bring lots of beer as a peace offering...lol
Hehe..thanks Brian, and I'll keep that in mind. It's probably for the best that the car goes out of your area. We don't want you and Jon and John and Ray and the host of others in the Tri-State area to have any bad feeligns toward one another ;)

Now, i can assure you all that I am DONE poaching on Cougars. You can fight over the rest. I've called in all my favors, I've found what I have wanted to find, I've spent the Money I wanted to spend and then some. I am D-U-N Dun. Seriously. No really, I mean it..

Now it'll be fun to forward cars I've seen to other folks instead of feeling guilty taking advantage of friendships and then pissin' people off ;)

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fantastic! Now you've done it. You just needed to wait for the right car and you've done extremely well, imo.
I can hear you missing 2nd now......BANG! Kidding again! CONGRATS

I'd sure love to drive that one over and take my mother for a ride. It is the sister of her 67 xr7 GT auto that she got when I was 7 and fell in love with and never out of!

Looking forward to MORE PICS
Haha..I've been practicing power shifting in the Diesel Ranger..shouln't be a problem. They have the same shift pattern ;)

Thanks Jeff..I sure wish MY family had collected at least one Cougar. I loved them because I just remember seeing those gorgeous body lines and sequentials since I can remember :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Cool!!! Very cool!! I know where we can get another one...........

Can we get rid of those hideous hubcaps? You can't run two cars with those on.....they just scream 1983 T-Bird all day long with a sombrero in the back window (from Woodburn). Even though, I know they are original. I am 'ok' with Sandy having them because they fit it better and are more appealing to that car, but this car is all about muscle and it needs the American mags from my fastback or those Magnums you picked up at Portland a couple of years ago.

As a side note, what are you going to name this car?? Buzz??

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Cool!!! Very cool!! I know where we can get another one...........

Can we get rid of those hideous hubcaps? You can't run two cars with those on.....they just scream 1983 T-Bird all day long with a sombrero in the back window (from Woodburn). Even though, I know they are original. I am 'ok' with Sandy having them because they fit it better and are more appealing to that car, but this car is all about muscle and it needs the American mags from my fastback or those Magnums you picked up at Portland a couple of years ago.

As a side note, what are you going to name this car?? Buzz??

OK, you have this bad habit of always tellin' me that you know where there is another one! I am Dun..remember!??

Agreed on the Wheels..I sort of ahemm..sold those Magnums to Mike (DOH!) Now THERE is something you can watch for me at the swap meets!

I'm also done with this Ghey naming of cars. (No offense intended to those who do this..or if yer Ghey, not that there is anything wrong with it)

GT is GT, nuff said ;)

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Wow! Just Wow!!! LOL amazing find Brian. It sure looks great in green too. Just in time for spring.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
WOW Brian you lucky CAT (pun intended), congrats on the find. And the madness still continues.:) John

·
Registered
107 Posts
OK, you have this bad habit of always tellin' me that you know where there is another one! I am Dun..remember!??

Agreed on the Wheels..I sort of ahemm..sold those Magnums to Mike (DOH!) Now THERE is something you can watch for me at the swap meets!

I'm also done with this Ghey naming of cars. (No offense intended to those who do this..or if yer Ghey, not that there is anything wrong with it)

GT is GT, nuff said ;)

Well said. GT it is ................ Putting new wheels on my shopping list for Portland Swap Meet.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts