Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed a new rear 15" Indy 500 tire (size 225/70/15) for the Cougar and found that Firestone discontinued them in April of this year. The guy at Tirerack said that a survey showed that no one expressed much interest in raised white letter tires so Firestone cut them. I searched all over and finally found 3 still available, 1 in my town and 2 in Ohio. The raised white letter tires look good on my car, and being that its black helps set off the car even better. Anyone else going to have to go to a different tire?

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I have a set of those in that size on my '89 Crown Vic, white letters in. Somehow, I didn't think white letter tires would look right on a four-door 'grandpa car' with a vinyl top... even if it does have non-standard alloy wheels...

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
You can still get white letters in BF Goodrich. But TireRack is correct in that white letters just don't have the allure that they used to.

Personally, I hold the mantra that I don't want to give ANY tire company free advertising after I already dropped a fortune on their tires. Besides, they're a pain to keep clean.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
304 Posts
IMO I think the lack of intrest is a bit wrong. Seems to me that most guys are going to 17 inch and larger rims. No white letters for those tires so less 14 or 15 tires are being sold. Try to find 14 inch 50 tires these days. It is that reason that i will start looking now for a cool set of 17 inch rims and be ready when my 14's are worn out.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Another thing to think about, Most of us only put 5 to 8K a year on out Cougars. At that the tires will have rotted before we need new tires. Black walls are fine in many cases, but I don't thing aftermarket wheels or most Styled steels look good with white walls.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I think white letters look good on our era cars - mainly becuase it's almost expected - somehow it just looks naked all black..? IDK, it's dissapointing that 14" tire sizes are pretty much nil now. I agree, jumping up to a taller tire is about your only choice if you want good choices.....totally bites though

·
Registered
304 Posts
It is still hard to find a 17 inch rim i like that has a bolt patern and back set that fits right. Most cool rims are for newer cars too.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
It is still hard to find a 17 inch rim i like that has a bolt patern and back set that fits right. Most cool rims are for newer cars too.
Not at all in my experience. I found front and rear rims in 17 x 8 and 17 x 9 that fit excellent. It is all a matter of measuring (at least twice!) and then selecting rims with the right backspacing.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
My wife's '70 Mach 1 is still wearing the 215/70-14 BFG Radial T/As that we put on it back in 1994! Only 3000 miles on the car since then, and it stays indoors so tires still look good - no cracks.

What is really amazing is that it still has the same Motorcraft battery from '94, too! No problems starting either!

ALphaCat has given up it's 14" aluminum slot wheels for a set of 15s. BetaCat still has 14" painted Magnums though. And the Comet, well, still has 6.45-14 bias skinnies on it from around 1970, but those are dryrotted and only hold air for six months or so...

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went to a car show yesterday and talked to a 70 Eliminator owner who has 14's on his all original cat. He uses BFGoodrich white letter tires. Cougrrcj I wouldn't let my wife drive on tires from 1994 no matter how good they look. That's a blowout waiting to happen, and it can occur at 30 mph or worse yet 60+ mph. Don't chance it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Not at all in my experience. I found front and rear rims in 17 x 8 and 17 x 9 that fit excellent. It is all a matter of measuring (at least twice!) and then selecting rims with the right backspacing.
What i mean is some i think look good. I will see a rim i like then find out it's only made for new mustangs.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Another thing to think about, Most of us only put 5 to 8K a year on out Cougars. At that the tires will have rotted before we need new tires. Black walls are fine in many cases, but I don't thing aftermarket wheels or most Styled steels look good with white walls.
I looked at the Indy 500 as I made the decision to move to a 15" rim but the size they had at 235 was too big. Knew exactly what would happen on the car. So I ended up with a blackwall performance tire for the first time ever. I would have liked the white letter but the BW looks good on the car. Didn't consider any rim bigger because I think they look like crap on cars from our era.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
That's a good point. Only, Coker stuff is JUNK! They don't stay together. If you want a custom whitewall for a custom car, they peal off the sidewalls and a host of other defects.

For retro looking tires, Diamondback is the ONLY place to go. Pricey but well worth it.

http://www.dbtires.com/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts