Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their comments and support and best of luck on your respective projects.

I've arbitrarily had my posts changed in this forum without notice or communication and I've received some rather nasty comments about how I should post into a single thread instead of the single posts I was providing. Well not everyone does things the same way, and as a result ... Jenny and I are signing off and will delete our account.

I find it odd that in a community where we want to share ideas and stories about our respective efforts that we can loose individuals due to over zealous administrators.

Remember, you are only allowed to post into a single thread ... keep making progress and enjoy your hobby.

·
Registered
442 Posts
May I suggest that you post to the other site as I was following your build and would like to continue. I think the name is Classic Cougar Community. I'm invested, interested in see in the final results. SalD

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
To be honest I just thought he was helping you keep things easier for others to follow - I don't think he was intentionally forcing you to go that route.....jeesh can't even help a fella out around here without causing a ruckuss:1poke:

I'm sure if you just say Bob - leave my posts as I post them he would take his OCD back a notch! :toung:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I look forward to following your build on the other post. I do agree that Bob thought he was doing the right thing and he is no where as an over zealous admin as other I have seen on the Cobra site I was on while building our car. My only thought is he may want to communicate what he would like to do with the offender one on one before making a change. That way it does not suprise the poster and take offense. Have a safe day my friends.
To be honest I just thought he was helping you keep things easier for others to follow - I don't think he was intentionally forcing you to go that route.....jeesh can't even help a fella out around here without causing a ruckuss:1poke:

I'm sure if you just say Bob - leave my posts as I post them he would take his OCD back a notch! :toung:

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
May I suggest that you post to the other site as I was following your build and would like to continue. I think the name is Classic Cougar Community. I'm invested, interested in see in the final results. SalD
Great idea Sal, I am sure CCC would welcome 18 threads on the same exact topic from the same author. If anyone would like to try to explain the difference between posts and threads to Mr. mzqj6r, feel free.

No offense was intended, sorry if making a needed correction and trying to help was too much for him.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Great idea Sal, I am sure CCC would welcome 18 threads on the same exact topic from the same author. If anyone would like to try to explain the difference between posts and threads to Mr. mzqj6r, feel free.

No offense was intended, sorry if making a needed correction and trying to help was too much for him.
IMHO....If a "correction" is desired how about contacting the author rather than just changing it as you see fit. I don't know if it's just me before my morning coffee but you are coming across as a jerk. This forum has evolved to a shell of what it was. I used to be here daily keeping up with the people and events. That doesn't happen any more due to all the bickering and relentless ads and other issues. It's too bad. This was a nice neighborhood.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
IMHO....If a "correction" is desired how about contacting the author rather than just changing it as you see fit. I don't know if it's just me before my morning coffee but you are coming across as a jerk. This forum has evolved to a shell of what it was. I used to be here daily keeping up with the people and events. That doesn't happen any more due to all the bickering and relentless ads and other issues. It's too bad. This was a nice neighborhood.
The author was contacted and told exactly what needed to be and was being done.

Not that it is any of your or anyone else's business but just to tone down the mob mentality that is so pervasive around here, here is my PM to the author:

"Hi,

I just now noticed that you had approximately 18 threads all devoted to to the same thing - your restoration updates. I have merged them all into the thread you started 6 days ago (along with the two other you started since then). Please add to your previous thread rather than starting a new one each time you want to post an update - when the topic is the same - your restoration.

This is your Father/Daughter thread: http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/...aughter-Update Please save it as a bookmark in your browser or however you would like to save it and post your ongoing updates there.

Also, I have posted a tutorial on how to post Photobucket pictures in your posts, people really like that sort of thing. As an example, look at my "ECI" thread here: http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/...st-Coast-Idiot)

Thanks and Regards,

Bob"

I will leave it at this and I would appreciate it if the rest of you would as well. No injustice was done here in spite of what some would like to believe.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
My point exactly. "was told exactly what needed to be and was being done". To me that means "my way or the highway". Your snipe about explaining the "differences" betwen a post and thread was uncalled for. These are the type of BS issues I was mentioning when I said the neighborhood has gone to shi........well you know. Sad you can't find a way to work with people rather than driving them away.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I feel that however the posts/threads were introduced, it was more informative and to the point of what we all have in common here.

Eric/Jenny hope to see you at next years events/shows. Thanks for sharing, LSCC

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
OK, I manage a 75k square ft data center, but I have never hosted a web site so, does it really matter how many threads are created ? Is there a cost space issue? Or is this about control and exerting ones will?
We are all here to share our love of cars and comrade-re , seems a shame to lose a contributor and web friend over how many threads under the same name.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Jeeze a guy tries to help out someone who does not understand the posting process (for continuance of topic) and you guys get out the torches to run the beast out of town. Seemed a diplomatic approach taken as a personal affront.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Eric, Sorry to see you go. Enjoyed your posts and admired the progress you and Jenny were making....together. Thank you for sharing all the information and photo references,.... tips which will help us in our own projects. You will be missed.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Eric, I'm also sorry to see you go :(. I've enjoyed the thread on the restoration of your Elim. with your daughter. IMO, I believe Bob was trying to help. Again, good luck (I hope you'll stay). John

·
Registered
508 Posts
Eric , If you are still out there.....Hey, we all get put off when someone messes with our stuff, especially when they change things which we have devoted time and effort towards. Move beyond this! Many here enjoy your posts (have you noticed how many views you get and only 10% are members able to respond,...ah-hem..90% ad watchers our dear sponsor) and would love to see more,.....you have captured a window to the enjoyment of life and living which many wish they could experience or at a minimum aspire to emulate. To the point....I would like to make a suggestion. Present your progress in a series of tutorial type formats,...each showing a few pics of the current item/s you are restoring. Like the recent heat/AC box your have completed. Give each "tutorial" its own title, Example; Restoring My Heater Box follow that with Father/Daughter Update,...wouldn't that be a hoot! This would be a fantastic reference tool, helping many in the future with their projects. Then, attach your Photo Bucket link to your signature box at the bottom of your page,...an instant photo history for all to enjoy. Then again,...maybe just give each post a different TITLE, so to give this ridiculous title thing an appeasement. Listen, I don't intend to be rubbing salt in a wound, trying to tell you how to do things.....just that, you are an asset to our community and I believe ALL will regret it, if you leave.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Well, I havent been insulted in awhile, so I'll go ahead and add my $.02 on this.......

Somebody owns this site. They have entrusted Bob to moderate it. Simple forum etiquette like not posting 20 identical threads is not really an excessive request IMO. Does anyone really want to have to go thru 4 or 5 pages just to read the new posts? Thread 1: Here's a pic of my fender, thread 2: here's a pic of the drivers door, etc. etc. etc. Who wants that?

All Im saying is that its not like everyone is paying a monthly fee here or anything. Adhering to common forum etiquette is not too much to ask in exchange for this awesome site.............

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I don't have two cents to add as I am broke from paying for car stuff but I would like to add:: This is a great sight! Very informative. I have been schooled by more than one on this sight that my postings would be easier to read if I did this or that. My spelling has been corrected. And there have been other little things, All meant to help me I am sure. I have never felt that any of these things were to belittle or degrade me and I do hope that you wouldn't take it this way either. You are an asset to this sight as is everyone who inputs on here. I enjoy reading all the posts and learning from them as well as looking at pictures. It would be a shame for you to go over little stuff. I do not believe Bob ever meant any harm or maliciousness by any means as he has been very helpful and went out of his way for many of us here.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Ditto! Exactly what Harvey said especially the part about having 2 cents.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well, I havent been insulted in awhile, so I'll go ahead and add my $.02 on this.......

Somebody owns this site. They have entrusted Bob to moderate it. Simple forum etiquette like not posting 20 identical threads is not really an excessive request IMO. Does anyone really want to have to go thru 4 or 5 pages just to read the new posts? Thread 1: Here's a pic of my fender, thread 2: here's a pic of the drivers door, etc. etc. etc. Who wants that?

All Im saying is that its not like everyone is paying a monthly fee here or anything. Adhering to common forum etiquette is not too much to ask in exchange for this awesome site.............
I agree, the site is free……………it’s a free service.
I read the email that Bob sent (don’t know him) and I thought it was polite, informative, and professional.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
I guess I must be crazy, but when you are using a service that is free, you should be willing to at least attempt to try to comply with the way that the free service provider is requesting you to use the free service. <o:p></o:p>
It makes no difference if it is a space problem, or even a management issue, they want to run the site a curtain way, it is their right. <o:p></o:p>

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.