Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite the warning from many, I installed a unilte distributor in my 390. About 2 miles from the house on the way to the shop to get paint touch-up, I pulled up next to my son in my 07' mustang. I rolled down the window and told him to race me at the next light. (probably not the best fatherly advice for a 16 yr. old)

We both stomped the throttle at the light. My tires lit up, he was pulling away like a rocket ship and my engine shutdown.

I laughed, and rolled in to the gas station. Initial troubleshooting...no spark. I was thinking about the post on this site I read a few years ago suggesting a unilite user always have a spare module in the car. I didn't.

Hence, the picture of my car on the flatbed.
I want to convert to MSD. I know I could install a ready 2 run, and not convert over to capacitive discharge, but since I am making a change, I figure I should go all the way.

My question is: Where have any of you mounted your MSD box for applications where you are tryingn to make the engine compartment look somewhat original?

Thanks in advance for your input. Pictures would be BONUS!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I had that same issue with Unilites, went through 3 of them within a year. Luckily they honored the warrantyon all of them, but the last time I was fed up and told them to send me a Mallory Magnetic Breakerless instead. Not a bit of problem since. I put an MSD 6AL2 box on it this time around and put it under the dash. I got rid of my heat box though, so that may not be an option for you.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, good old unilite. Never pull a plug wire while the engine is running, or you immediately eat the light. Learned that the hard way. I would not have one of those if you gave it to me. Also had a friend lose a semi final round when a plug wire came loose and killed the light unit. Absolute junk.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Despite the warning from many, I installed a unilte distributor in my 390. About 2 miles from the house on the way to the shop to get paint touch-up, I pulled up next to my son in my 07' mustang. I rolled down the window and told him to race me at the next light. (probably not the best fatherly advice for a 16 yr. old)

We both stomped the throttle at the light. My tires lit up, he was pulling away like a rocket ship and my engine shutdown.

I laughed, and rolled in to the gas station. Initial troubleshooting...no spark. I was thinking about the post on this site I read a few years ago suggesting a unilite user always have a spare module in the car. I didn't.

Hence, the picture of my car on the flatbed.
I want to convert to MSD. I know I could install a ready 2 run, and not convert over to capacitive discharge, but since I am making a change, I figure I should go all the way.

My question is: Where have any of you mounted your MSD box for applications where you are tryingn to make the engine compartment look somewhat original?

Thanks in advance for your input. Pictures would be BONUS!
My engine compartment is total stealth for a car running a MSD 6AL. Here's why:

http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?21714-(Picture)-Diary-of-an-ECI-(East-Coast-Idiot)&p=446764#post446764

However, be forewarned that the box does buzz at the cadence of RPM, guess there is magnetics inside or something. I mounted the unit on the rubber isolaters that came with it but I can still hear it a little bit when sitting at a light.

Speaking of this, anyone have a whiz-bang idea for some acoustical foam or the like to put a layer on the back of the dash? I have regular waffle foam I will use unless I can come up with a better idea.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've had a Unilite in my 34 Ford street rod since 94 (302 4v) with absolutely no problems. I'm also running the big dash mounted coil and Mallory 6AL box. The only ignition issues I've had are the headers eventually breaking down the plug wire insulators. I have some 9MM Moroso wires now, but I haven't touched the distributor.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I have a feeling that the main reason for Unilite failures is having them wired without an ignition box. I didn't have an ignition box when I had mine, but did have the resistor. I never had a box on one, but did get a box shortly after getting my magnetic breakerless.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I have a Mallory that I got with a bunch of other parts, and was going to put it in my 68. Are these a good idea, to help prevent the mentioned power spikes, and then failures?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MAA-29351/

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I have a Mallory that I got with a bunch of other parts, and was going to put it in my 68. Are these a good idea, to help prevent the mentioned power spikes, and then failures?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MAA-29351/

Yeah a pretty good idea to have one that actually clamps the overvolt conditions just in case something happens....something shorts, alt goes bonkers, etc....

I am a huge fan of the MSD products. Very solid and reliable....I like where Bob is hiding his but way more trouble than I'm willing to go to. I don't use a glove box so that's coming out and it's where it will end up soon. I like the idea of accessing it it if need be easily.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
One of my best freinds had one in his 72 Firebird Fomula and went thru a module about every year and a half. My opinion they are junk !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts