Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, while riding around I spotted a white 1968 xr7 cougar sitting in somebody's yard. I pulled in the man's driveway, and he was sitting under his carport drinking a beer and he told me all about the car. xr7, 302 big cam holley carb, front disc, magnum 500 wheels and it was a 4 speed. The car was in decent condition, a little rust spots here and there, but over all decent. The front left fender was dented pretty good, and the hood was dented also. The interior was a tan color and in okay condition. He wanted $2000 for it and it runs and drives, but has flat tires. Good deal or not? How rare are these 4 speed cars? Seemed to be a good deal to me....but I'm 19, going to college and working on my own 68 cougar. If anybody wants more info on it, I will try to obtain it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
According to John's classic cougars, 32,408 68 xr-7's were made. Most of them are automatic trans, c-4 most likely. I'd imagine that anywhere from 5000-10000 4 speed manual xr-7s were made. But that is just an educated guess. I have only seen one manual 68 cougar in my cougar lifetime. It was a standard 68 cougar with a 3 speed manual. I'd say it's a good buy. I paid 3,000 for mine and mine is only the regular xr-7 with a c-4 trans. I say go for it. I mean, hey it's a cougar, how can you go wrong?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'd say it's worth 2,000.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
you might want to check with phil parcells but i do believe they only produce 200 or so three speeds so it is quite a rrare find. course wghat i know about 67-8 you could put into a thimble but i know there is a gentelman here ho has one and said that it is a very rare option.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how can I get in contact with phil parcell?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Isn't he the coach of the N.Y. Jets or something:D
Just Kidding

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
you can conact him by sending a private message to phil parcels.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
According to the Cougars by the numbers in 1968 there were

530 F Code (302 - 2V) XR7s with 4 speed and 497 J Code (302 - 4V) XR7s with 4 speed

Trans Code 5 on door tag. THere were more 3 speed manual XR7s than 4 speeds

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Cougar by the Numbers is a book published by Kevin Marti that provides a breakdown of the configurations of Cougars built between 1968 - 1973. THe material comes from Ford production data and covers colours, engine and transmission, dso, options

Info from www.martiauto.com

(623) 935 2558

·
Registered
669 Posts
The point is there are not that many original 4spd cougars. Sounds good to me. Check the undercarriage, floors, rails etc for rust. If they are good and solid then it's worth it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts