Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
If the car is solid I would think it would be a good deal. I personally would have major concerns if he is admitting the frame is weak somewhere. I would want to really go over the car checking the rocker boxes, in the trunk and rear drop wells, under the hood lip and use a magnet to see how much body filler he has used. I am scared of rust! Also would depend on what you want to end up with and how much you want to put into it? Not that I know all that much just know I looked for almost seven years before I found one I went for and I ended up spending a lot more. I did get a rust free car though and that was my major concern

·
Registered
270 Posts
And check those shock towers good!

If the car is solid I would think it would be a good deal. I personally would have major concerns if he is admitting the frame is weak somewhere. I would want to really go over the car checking the rocker boxes, in the trunk and rear drop wells, under the hood lip and use a magnet to see how much body filler he has used. I am scared of rust! Also would depend on what you want to end up with and how much you want to put into it? Not that I know all that much just know I looked for almost seven years before I found one I went for and I ended up spending a lot more. I did get a rust free car though and that was my major concern

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I don't want to discourage you, but based on reading the description it sounds like this car has issues. That in itself might not be a big deal, but I'm guessing this guy has made an even bigger mess with his so-called body work. It costs at least twice as much to fix shoddy work than it does to just do it right the first time.

You should be able to find a car like this out west somewhere that's fairly rust free and not all butchered up for the same money.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I don't want to discourage you, but based on reading the description it sounds like this car has issues. That in itself might not be a big deal, but I'm guessing this guy has made an even bigger mess with his so-called body work. It costs at least twice as much to fix shoddy work than it does to just do it right the first time.

You should be able to find a car like this out west somewhere that's fairly rust free and not all butchered up for the same money.
Amen to that. You know the old saying: if you think a professional is expensive, just wait till you see what an amateur will cost you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts