Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Kinda cool, but I have 2 15x7 Magnum 500 (chrome) and 2 14x6 Magnum 500 (painted) that would look better, and hey, they are for sale too.lol.

What are they from, what size are they. When you get them, mount them and take a picture.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
69 already has Magnums on it. The wheels are 17 x 8 three piece composites called AJR Signature. They are made in Oz for local Falcons but this set has been set up with Mustang backspace

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Cool, Id love 17x8 rims on my car, but I could buy another car for the price they want for those new,lol.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Leon, since your asking to opinions I think they look alright but I prefer a classic style (read old like me!!) for a classic car. I'm just not one to go with the newest fads. I'll take the magnums, Cragar SS's ,Keystone Klassics, Torque thrust's or even a good old set of aluminum slots!! I guess its just me remembering back to what everyone used when our cars were not so old myself included. mm

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
MM,

We think alike.

I'm a firm believer in 'period' wheels for a period car. If yours is 70 or earlier, Torq Thrusts Ds are availavle in 16,17 or even 18" these days. Good old Cragars S/Ss are still around but sizes are pretty limited to the more popular 14 and 15" sizes. Keystone Klassics? - My one bud had 'em on his 71 Mach and they looked perfect on there. Alpha Cat had the 14" polished aluminum slots. Beta Cat has 14" painted Magnums.

The big problem is finding a decent set of performance tires for our heavy Cats. About the biggest 14" around are BFG radial T/As in 245/60/14, which translates to a G-60-14. Not all that impressive. Moving up to fifteen inchers gives you a few more options, and many more performance tires are coming out in the larger 16, 17 and 18 sizes, but here again we run into what modern wheel would look 'right' on our thirty-plus year old Cats.

Quite the dilema, eh?

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have to make a couple of calls first and check the bank balance. They are bigger than maximum DOT approval for the car (16 x 7) so I need to check on approvals

If I can sell the Magnums, I probably will pick them up - another step toward resto mod show car

1 - 11 of 11 Posts