Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First the ugly. Here in the Hoosier state, we got hit by a big storm. Multiple tornados, people lost thier homes, whole businesses got demolished, etc. The major interstates here were literally shut down because of wrecks and debris everywhere.
So it took me 3.5 hrs to drive almost 8 miles home as the side streets were PACKED. Never seen anything like it in my life.

The good. Pouncer did very well, never overheated in 70 degree temps. Needle stayed in the middle the whole way. Guess the elec. fan and water wetter helped alot.

The bad. About 2 miles from home, I noticed the RPM's were dragging a bit. No temp problem at all. Then it just stops. It was as if I just shut the motor off. I tried to restart, nothing. No starter, click, notta. Battery wasn't dead either. Still has juice even after the tow home with hazards on the hole time since dying. The wrecker driver said it may be the points or distributer....so, anyone have a better idea? I am going to check it out tomorrow and see where I can get.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Wow, it sounds like you (and your cat) was very lucky!!! Well here's what I think, its in the ignition switch or the harness. Why? Well first of all the car quit, that could be any number of things but you said the battery was still charged so that rules out the charging system. Next you said nothing happens when you turn the key. That doesn't rule out the starter but you would most likely be hearing the solinoid click. Ok now you say how about the solinoid, well it wouldn't cause your car to stall, it just wouldn't turn over when you tried to start it. Ok now your thinking the ignition shouldn't cause your car to stall it just wouldn't fire up. Well if you have a factory tach that may not be the case. Troubleshooting 101- first check to see if you have power at the ignition switch, If you don't its between the battery and the switch. If you do check to see if you get power thru it in the on position and in the start position. That should give you a good start and I'll probably be online tommorrow off and on so let us know how it goes.
John
wvcat

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guess I left a small bit out. :)
I do have power with key in all key positions. I'm going out now to see what I can find out. At first I thought maybe the batt terminals needed cleaned. Like it had enough of connection to power the lights, but not start. Hell, maybe with all the other electical problems, it may be the harness. I had posted another message awhile back about how torn up the wiring was under the dash.
I'll see what I find. Thanks for the reply. Keep ya updated.

Side note...it seems our govenor is going to declare Marion county (where Indy is here) and a few other counties as disaster areas. They think some of the tornados were category F4, the highest they go are F5. They just showed on the news a van with a sheet of plywood stuck in it. Yes, IN it, like a knife.
I may end up putting the cat off and voluntering with clean up or something as I was a lucky one. But then I have a family reunion at noon....decision decisions.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Did you check for spark at the coil? Same thing happened to me and it turned out to be the coil. I put a new one on ($11.00 at Auto Zone) and it's been fine for 3 years now!

Steve

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went out and first tried to crank it. The starter buzzed, so I jumper past the solenoid, still buzzed. Hmmm...so I jumped it. Guess what, it's fine now. Let it set awhile, still starts fine. Very wierd. The coil is new by the way, thanks though.
So it dies last night, I have juice, no response to starting. This morning the batt must have been drained just enough not to turn the starter over. Just don't know why it would just die last night. Voltage regulator maybe? As I said, the coil is new, along with the solenoid.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Sounds to me like you drained your battery. If you were sitting in traffic all that time and your car isn't charging enough at idle it could cause it to stall. A good battery would recover some juice from sitting(never a full charge). I think maybe you charging system is not charging at idle when all your lights and accessories is on. Its probably the altenator not the regulator. You could get a good charge on the battery and go to an autozone type store and have them put the tester on it.
John
wvcat

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I'm repeating something I was told to check here, so if I am wrong, sorry, but to check if the regulator is faulty you must connect it up to a bulb, if the light comes on its working, if not, its not, the guy said to take the regulator out completely, connect it up to a battery, then connect up to a bulb. Did not try this ourselves, took it in instead, not that we did not want to but it was not possible at the time. [Lost the garage keys].

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Jump car if needed to start. Then test voltage at battery with simple multi tester. If you are showing 13 or more volts the regulator and alternator are fine.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the insight guys. It looks like the batt must have drained cause everything else is fine. I am going to bump up the voltage output a bit on the alt, the relay can doesn't click as it should anyway when setting at a light with signal on. Thanks again all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts