Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does $3500 seem fair for a 70 cougar - all original - with 96,000 miles on it? Good body - needs some interior (dash, carpet) work?

·
Registered
406 Posts
I would say get it. Make sure it has a clean title. If it doesn't have a clean title then don't get it. Also keep in mind that some of the interior pieces may be hard to find. - Chad

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The body is dink free and just re-painted. The bumpers were re-chromed and the front one is starting to chip. As for the interior, I know it's gonna be damn hard to find what I need. Its Maroon. I have no pics, I'm the one trying to buy it. What exactly do you mean "clean" title. The guy who is selling it got it from his aunt and uncle who were the original owners. He has all the original paperwork including the bill of sale.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
What's the VIN and Data Plate info?

Jeb, your profile doesn't say where you are from. Even if you live in 'rust free" TX or CA, when checking on body work, always bring magnets. Especially if it's just been repainted. The flexible plastic refrigerator magnets are good, they don't scratch and are weak, if there's bondo they fall off.

Carpet is not difficult to get. They are listed in all the Cougar vendor catalogs. The dash pads held up pretty well on most 69-70 Cougars, you can find a used one or a cover from Just Dashes.

Don't generally buy a car with a 'salvage title' it's been wrecked or totaled. Some states don't require a title supposedly, just a Bill of Sale......I don't know much about that.

Tim B

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
im a little bit of an auto body freak, and i know all too well the fun of rust and some of the crap that goes into covering it up. make sure to look into the trunk area in the sides ( just behind the wheelwells ) you can usually see a rust area that has been patched or rust that has just been filled. ( ive seen alot of total half assed work )

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help. I didn't see any rust at all. If there was any body work done, Then it was a damn good job. Ther floorboard (back passenger) is starting to go, But I know that is expected. for $35000 how can I pass it up?

·
Registered
406 Posts
I still say go for it! Just don't blame me if you hate it, but having had the 70 I know you'll love it. - Chad

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Wifes Opinion

I had wvcat before we got married so it was part of the deal but my wife never really cared either way about it until this summer when she drove it a few times & then we drove it to the cougar nationals. Believe me she would take it off of me if she could..........lol I will be looking for a second cougar when the finances will support two,maybe next summer.
John

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
My wife wasnt crazy about it when I bought mine either(she always wanted a mustang convertible). I just told her that if I didnt buy it then I would buy another dirt track car. She came around then and she seems to take more intrest in it now that she has came to a couple shows with me along with the longer trip to the James Dean Run. Now she refers to it more as "OUR" Cougar. Thats ok, she hasnt asked to drive it yet. We will cross that bridge when we come to it. Just dont overwhelm her with it at first. mm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts