Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, not too much, so would like suggestions to end up with a suttle, slightly higher rear than the front; not loose and hopefully not gain any handling quirks. Lower front or raise rear? different size tires F&R? Air shocks? New springs? In HS we just put on longer shackles on cars that had leafs, or twist lock blocks in coils, but that's when these were brand new and who cared how they rode, it was cool..
That's why I need another Cougar, one to be bone stock, and the other to make a vintage rod out of..
Willie

·
Registered
519 Posts
willie said:
That's why I need another Cougar, one to be bone stock, and the other to make a vintage rod out of..
Willie
You can add me to that list :D

How old are your springs and shocks now?
New rear springs in the back will probaly give you a 1 inch lift and if you order from Espo or have them built locally you can have an inch of lift built in. I think everybody on the forum will agree with me saying.. "Leave those high-jacker shackles in the past were they belong!"

·
Registered
866 Posts
Not sure if it was from this site or MustangWorks.com but someone said that if you use those air shocks, that it puts all the pressure of the rear vehicle on the shocks, as they are the what is keeping the rear end stiff.. They even said they have seen the floors ripped out of the old Mustangs using those... That is, only if you really air 'em up.. Or so I hear...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea I know about the past. was funny one time watching this old car in front of me swerve real fast and bent the extended shackles, course that was in the 60's (oops).
Car is original. 1970. But like I say, this one is just too original, need a 67-8 to rod out. Kid down the street has one for sale, must have 25 pounds of bondo, and AC in the floor, but it has the swing wheel, overhead and lower console.... Humm...
Willie

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The local front end garoo moved the upper control arms up 1" on his Eliminator to match what Shelby did. He claimed handling was much flatter and car did not lift at high speeds.

I did not do this to mine but did rear respring and tires. 265 x 50 rear and 205 x 60 front looks good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will explore the respring thing.. There are new shocks. Well less than 500 miles on a rebuilt front end, alignment, brakes, and shocks before it was parked in 97..
Would like to go with either the chrome GT wheels, or the Crager ss classics. I've kinda been [partial to same size all the way around lately. In my youth I did the small skinny in front and huge in rear, dragster look..
The new carpet came today. Wow, in Ginger no less. Found a perfect passenger seat I'm going to remove the cover and put it on my drivers seat, that will give me perfect houndstooth seats.. Waiting for the headliner material..
Still have to strip the chrome and vinyl top and paint, but need to do the trans first. Maybe brown alligator vinyl top if I don't find any houndstooth vinyl top stuff first... Still going to need a front valance and a shiny rear bumper (kinda pitted)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts