Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 67 XR-7 sat in my folks barn for the last 18 years and I am now restoring it. To keep the mice out of the car I dropped in about 4 boxes of moth balls once per year. This technique is credited with keeping the mice out as there are no signs of mice in the interior or trunk. However, now I have the mothball smell to get rid of. The seats need re-upholstering so I'm not concerned about them. The carpet is in great shape but I would be willing to replace this if need be. The headliner is perfect so if possible I would really like to get rid of the smell here for sure. Additionally the console and dash probably absorbed the odor as well and I do not want to replace as these too are in very good condition. I still have the original white cougar floormats that came with the car and these too have absorbed the odor.
I have heard that one option might be the use of Febreze Auto to get rid of the smell. However, on the bottle it states that the product should not be used on interior roofs over 10 years old. Well, my cougar just had its 35th birthday last June 13 so its well past 10 years old. The bottle does not say what can happen so I don't really want to take the risk.
Any suggestions out there on how to freshen up the interior?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I don't know how to get rid of the smell but I have heard that a better method for keeping the mice out is to put some of the fabric sheets that are used in a clothes dryer inside. Apparently the mice hate that smell as much as mothballs and it doesn't leave the bad odor. The local radio auto guy swears by the method.
Tom

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. Where was this radio guy 18 years ago when I put the cougar in storage?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
A pile of charcoal on a garbage can lid will absorb alot of the smell

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I assume this is just ordinary charcoal that one would use for barbequing? Now that you mention this I have heard that this method can be used.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Lemon Pledge. Soak some rags in that stuff and leave inside car on a hot day. Smells purdy after that.

I also use pledge on my vinyl. Works great.

·
11,000 Posts
You might try smoking some of the green El Producto cigars inside the car. I find them very effective at removing unwanted odors.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I quit smoking about 15 years ago. I don't think a sick, green faced cougar driver would be a very attractive sight.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Moth balls and green El Producto cigars. thats my uncles house smell all the way man.

·
Registered
329 Posts
oo That smell

I own a Cleaning and Restoration company for 20 years I have a solution that you can try.It's at my warehouse so I will get back to you on thu the 30th.It's safe to use and will not harm anything you spray with It.I got rotten meat smells out also milk-urine-dead animals and dead humans.I will email you with all the info you need to buy this product. 70 XR7 Ragtop

·
Registered
139 Posts
To get rid of unwanted smells, I buy coffee in the instant packs,the kind that is sealed in the filter. I throw several on the floorboards. Let it sit for a few days....The coffee absorbs all of the odors. The car will smell like coffee for a few days, but you can open the windows and the coffee smell will go away.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the feed back. I will try the charcoal and coffee packs and wait for the information of the cleaning/ordor eliminating solution. Dead people smell, geez should I even ask?
To this point I have been using the Febreze Auto and if its working it is going to take alot. I sprayed some on my dash last night and it seems it may have stained it. After considerable thought I have decided to stay away from the green El Producto cigar idea as well.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
1967xr7 said:
After considerable thought I have decided to stay away from the green El Producto cigar idea as well.
I can't imagine why...... :p:

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I did a search for "smells" on Meguiars home page and came up with this:
Car Odor Eliminator

Unlike most odor control products, this remarkable formula safely removes offensive odors and doesn't allow them to return again when the car interior heats up or gets wet. Other products either try to cover up the odor with a stronger fragrance that soon fades or they only provide temporary relief. Cars are a lot tougher area in which to control odors than homes. The space is compact, temperature extremes are common, high humidity conditions occur and moisture can be brought in due to rain or snow. Meguiar's Car Odor Eliminator is the proven way to instantly and safely remove strong odors such as smoke, sweaty workout gear, pet odor, food smells and more. And the compact 10-oz. bottle can be kept in the glove compartment to quickly deal with emergencies.

G-2310 ....................10 oz. $2.99

http://www.meguiars.com/

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I baught an Green El Producto just to see for my self what it could do for the kitchen. after i lit it, my wife asked from the other room, "if my butt hole caught on fire, something stinks".
But the kitchen does smell better now. my wife has banished the green el productos from the house.
I must admit, I love a real Cuban cigar though. the green el productos are just ok.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts