Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well another snow storm hit today! I got the garage all cleaned up and then started on the barn. My cougar is in the barn. I have to build a few more shelves before I get started with the restoration. While I was in the barn I decided to start the car. Haven't started it since probably november. No reason to really as i intend to freshen up the engine. Pumped it twice and turned the key, she started right up! God it is going to be hard to take a car apart I want to drive so bad. The more I look at it the less I think it needs. I discovered today, after owning the car for five months that it has the original cougar rubber floor mats with the walking cat emblem on them. The two back and the passenger side look new. The drivers side has a small tear in it by the dimer switch. I really want to rush into this but am trying hard to hold back for nicer weather and I still have some projects around the house I need to finish up first. I am working on them in some crazy weather to gain time for the car! Am going to build the shelves next week. Then will be ready.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Yeah we're getting it too.
I thought winter was over I was ready for spring.
Now I'm going to put my plow on, hopefully for the last time this winter.
And this year I'm going to get going on the Cougar............... I hope.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ZMAN what are you going to do to yours?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
First thing will be pull the engine, freshen it up. Still not sure how far to go with the engine.
Just a rebuild? Or all the way to muncie with a stroker kit.
Shift kit in the transmission. I would really like a 4 speed but, most likely stick with the FMX for now.
A detroit locker, new wheels and tires.
Would like to re-paint it, I like the orange but the PO did a lousy job on the paint.
That's a start.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I keep bouncing back and forth with what I want to do with mine! Very mind boggeling right now. I believe at this point I am going to rebuild the 390 2v to specs and use the cast intake and heads. I want to go through the tranny as it has set for almost twenty years in the same fluid without moving although it doesn't slip right now would be dumb to freshen engine and not put new clutches in the tranny. I am going to stick with the original rear end for now also. I am going to have a guy look the paint over real good and see if he cant just polish it up. it is still factory paint. If not well It will be painted same color to match door tag. Now I am wondering if I go to all this if I should continue and put a new vynol top on it? Top looks good and only has one very small nick in it. I want to or need to tighten up all steering componets as all the rubber is dry rotted. Then I need to reseal the air conditioning system as it leaks somewhere. As much as I can I want to head towards a concourse car!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts