Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
well i started yesterday taking the car apart some.I got a bunch of bags and boxes from work to put them away so i can get the body right.I am also taking the motor and tranny out and going to replace the core support and the pass rear inner fender apron.As well as fix the problem areas i shouldve done a long time ago, lik the lower fender mounting areas on the rockers, there are some holes in the shock towers for grease fittings,and the car got hit around 1981-1982 and the pass door jamb is all screwed up.So i`m gonna replace everything except 1 1/4 panel(drivers)and the front valance.I will start taking pictures as i go along.I`m hoping this is the final time around so i can enjoy it when its all done..

thanks
pat

·
Registered
97 Posts
good luck on your project.
glad to see someone saving another convert.
i hope to have my 70 xr7 convert. all in paint by next fall so i can spend next winter putting it together for spring of 2012.
i started in 2002 and it has been slow going ever since but i am over the half way point.

mick

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not so much saving my vert mick, i have owned the car for 21+ years.I redid it 4 times and this time i`m gonna make sure all and i do mean ALL the problems i looked over will be done.I didn`t have patience cause i wanted to cruise in it.I got more patience to take my time and get the job done right.So i got everything but a few structure pieces like a pass outer wheelhouse, a core support and a pass rear inner fender apron.Other then them pieces the only thing on the body i`m keeping is the drivers 1/4. All other unboltable parts are getting replaced.I`m going to leave the cougar on the 1/4s off and smooth them and rebuild the front suspension with perhaps a while new braking system, and 18s-20s for rubber and repait the car the white again.But the majority of the car is done like drivetrain,interior,a few chrome pieces will be needed to be redone but its just mainly the body.The motor and tranny will be pulled and the engine comaprtment will be detailed as well as the motor. It`ll be done right and look just as good as i got it in my mind so look for some pics of my upcomming teardown..

thanks
pat

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Looking forward to the pics Pat! Your cat has always been one of my favorites here on MCnet. Just always it looked 'clean'.
Thanks
Chuck

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you chuck,

I like the look of the 9 LIVES red 70 hardtop car here.I like the stance and thats what i`m after.Not so much the mods like the dash, engine and so forth but everything else, like aslo do a custom trunk for stereo, do the brakes, wheels, and smooth out the body..But leave the interior, and drivetrain alone..

thanks
pat

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
Pat you shouldn't have any problems doing whatever you want in that huge garage of yours. Wish I had half that space to work on mine.
Looking forward to seeing it when its finished.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
P1030260.jpg P1030261.jpg Hey Pat,Here is my buddies car getting ready a couple weeks ago,for the blaster,now its back and they are starting body work. Appears only one coat of paint was ever on this car over the original, they painted the car back a long time ago,and just masked off everything and put the ugly tan on it,but were going back to the nice clean blue you see in the tail light panels. The motor,4speed,and rear end got picked up this past week and headed to the rebuild shop. So keep us posted how yours go. My buddy is mainly putting all NOS parts back on that we have, so its going to be something special when done. Good luck John in south carolina.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well let the teardown begin:

thanks
Pat

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
P1030496.jpg Hey Pat, the convertible came back from blasting, found that the pan need to be redone,wasnt that bad until the blaster go to them,but Its to be expected for these old cars.Hope others know there are hidden things out there that do come up that we cant see or control on these old cars!! Be ready for anything,they are old and have been around the block a few times for the new guys out there!!hint hint for some

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Looks like you are off to a good start. Nice shop. Good luck and post lots of pictures.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got the doors off now.I am going to take out the interior this weekend then soon the drivetrain.As i been taking the car apart little by little i noticed all the bad areas i neglected to do right and this time everything will be done right.So i am gonna take my time and make sure everything is fixed the way it shouldve.So hopefullly more pics to come..

thanks
Pat

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Awesome Pat. Keep the pictures and updates coming. Good luck and have fun!!

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Zoli,
thanks and now for some unforseen pics,

This door is now in a junk pile

Pass side door jamb(i got a new doorjamb to replce this 1)

I just need a few more items and i should be pretty good to start on my way to making this car right FINALLY!!!, I got the wheels sold to a member here for his restomod.I traded the chin spoiler to him for a pair of bumperettes and now he wants the wheels, so my fiance found a set for the car which i think will look great on the car.Here they are:

http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/wheel_detail.asp?subcat3=1131118

thanks
Pat

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Love the wheel selection. Should look great!!!

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Zoli,
the car will look great with these wheels i`ll say.I am going to get into working on this car soon cause i`m ready to remove all the junk work i did to it.

thanks
Pat

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well no turning back now lol..As you can see the back of my truck was loaded with the hood, drivers door,rear valance, front and rear extensions,pass fender and a few other pieces of junk i sent to the scrap yard today..So still tearing the car apart, got a pile of parts put aside for powdercoating, once i get some spare coin put aside i`ll get them done..

thanks
Pat

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well i got some more of the car torn down this week, i got the interior out, i got the trim around the windshield off,pass rear 1/4 window assembly out ,took off the wheels, and removed the windshield wiper assembly.I put all the interior away and still got more to take off soon.

thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Well no turning back now lol..As you can see the back of my truck was loaded with the hood, drivers door,rear valance, front and rear extensions,pass fender and a few other pieces of junk i sent to the scrap yard today..So still tearing the car apart, got a pile of parts put aside for powdercoating, once i get some spare coin put aside i`ll get them done..

thanks
Pat

Those parts look pretty good to me, what was wrong with them? And why taking them to the yard? I hope you already have replacements, but I still can't see what was so bad about the parts you junked!

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Bob,
the hood had a crack and was hit 1 time before i got it.I tried straightening it out the best i could. I filed thru it to much and had to weld in a patch.Also the rear valance was piece mailed with 2 rear valances.The pass fender was also hit at 1 time before and i had to use a 2 lb hammer and a pry bar to push the part where the fender extension bolted to.And also there was a couple of rust holes i welded in some patches.As you could see from the first page the drivers door was made from 2 doors.Yes i got all the replacement parts including all NOS quarter and fender extensions and everything else.I am gonna hit up don for some pieces soon, possibly by friday that i will need to do this car right.Don if you read this, i hope you got a clean outer wheel house and a pass rear hood fender apron..

thanks
Pat

1 - 20 of 77 Posts