Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I pulled my cat out of her resting spot (for the last 5 years) to do some clean up and plan for what needs to be done to get her back on the road, and what do I find??? A nice family of mice made homes in my cowl. Any idea of how to get all that stuff out without cutting? I'm not sure if I can get in there from below.

Anyway, if I do open up the side of the cowl to clean out, Anyone ever just leave that area open? I'm not talking about a huge hole just something big enough to get my vacuum into. maybe just enlarging the drain hole or something???? Guess I'm just looking for any advice from anyone who's been there before.

I guess I need to see if the cowl is damaged anyway. But at least it was under a roof for those 5 years. Maybe it won't be too bad.

:1zhelp:

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I just did this type of thing to mine 2 weeks ago. You have to remove the fenders to get to it good (without drilling all the spot welds and removing the upper cowl panel!) After the fenders are off take out the rubber plugs on the sides. I used a shop vac with the smallest end I had for it and then took a 3' long piece of 5/8 or 3/4 heater hose (which ever will fit your shop vac and through your cowl drains and holes) and teped it in the end of my shop vac attachment. I then (going in and out through the side holes and drain holes) moved it in and out and up and down and twisted it all around (while watching through the opposite hole the hose was in) to suck out all the crap and debris. It worked VERY well. After that I sprayed it out with some good water pressure and dawn dishwashing liquid for inspection for rust. Luckily mine wasn't rusted at all and I just had to paint it good... Hope yours turns out as well! :D :D :D

Scott

1 - 2 of 2 Posts