Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some searches on here concerning overspray when painting. Cat is getting ready to be primed. My current plan is red oxide all over the bottom but after searching seams a lot of people are saying that 1968 dearborn cars were not red oxide on the bottom but semi-gloss black? I know the car was primed with red oxide that was obvious during dis-assembly, I did not see any red oxide on the bottom though. The car had been sprayed with a rattle can to clean it up for pictures. I did try and take some paint off and not really sure I saw red under it either? What do you guys say?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Slop Grey.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob do you know when they started using the slop grey? I have heard mid year in 68 there was a change but not sure exactly what. I didn't find any evidence of grey on the car. Not under the hood or under the car?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh and was the slop grey a primer or was it sprayed over the primer? Not sure right now what I am going to do. I do like the look of Brians Gunner, but have found much conflicting information.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Slop grey is leftover body paint all mixed together. As for when it was used, I am not aware of a particular date when it began or stopped. My car had it very obviously under the undecoating. If you were to rub off some undercoating (guess this is too late for you) using gasoline or lacquer thinner you would find what was used. Bet dollars to donuts it was slop grey if it was a Dearbon car.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did clean off some of the underside. I didn't see any grey but I honestly didn't see any red either. The rest of the car the red oxide is obvious or was. inside outside and on the roof! I keep looking at pictures of others cars and seems most have done them in red oxide. I saw one article that showed that mustangs and cougars went down the same paint line? and they were saying that the undersides were almost a semi-gloss black late 67 and early 68. I talked to Tom at KTL and he tells me one thing and then Johns Cougars tells me something else? Seems the harder I think about it the harder it becomes.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I think part of it is that they just used what they had on that day/shift available for use....it could be either or if they had left overs to get used up they used that. Seems like slop grey is the most common as you get "newer"? Maybe it was a cost saving step they took I would guess?

·
Registered
913 Posts
My 68 GT-E is a Dearborn car built April and was red oxide primer on bottom, if this helps.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks TowCat, and Bob and all the rest, Thinking this hard about the car is taking the fun out of it right now. I like the look of the red oxide and I am going to stick with that. If for some reason later I find it should be another car or I don't like the detailed red oxide I recon I can overcoat that with a darker color pretty easy. Tired of trying to be so correct as it is making this more of a pain than fun. Right now I just want to get it back in the barn so I can wrench on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts