Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello all has anybody ever cleaned any part of there engine with brake cleaner . i was thinking about cleaning my victor junior intake tommorow to get oil scum of it and i did not want to get water spots all over it from the car wash so i was thinking about brake cleaner ...how does it differ from engine degreaser and which one is better. my valve cover are already clean the only thing that is really dirty is the intake and the top front part of the block

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Brake cleaner dries to fast IMO, if you want to use a degreaser of some sort use OVEN OFF. That will work good and no water is needed.

thanks
pat

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
About a month ago I tried using brake cleaner when cleaning up a valve body of fluid and that scummy greyish paste one can get on the separator plate. Well it didn't do squat. Even tried carb cleaner and no luck. Then, for the hell of it, I took out my can of CRC QD Electronic Cleaner and it worked great. Doesn't dry too fast, doesn't smell and doesn't leave any kind of oily residue. Best thing is I didn't need to rinse with water. I simply pat dried the parts with a shop towel. Now dirt mixed with grease could be a little tough.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I would say oven cleaner. Its nasty stuff, but it works. Spray on, wait, wash off.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
If you are cleaning the engine or any of it's parts in the car, there is only one good way (IMO). Use engine shampoo on a hot engine. Spray on, scrub with a parts cleaning brush, let soak and then rinse thoroughly with water under pressure, like with a hose and spray nozzle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts