Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a pretty rare cat-- I've had my 1967 GT S-code 4 speed for 3 years...it has a lot of potential and pretty much straight except it needs a new driver side quarter panel skin as the original one is smashed up--was told it fell down on the wheel when it was jacked up at one time. The other issue is that someone installed an aftermarket sunroof--they did a good job, but I know it takes away from originality and value. How much could I expect to have to pay to have these two issues fixed (it's beyond my skills). Thanks for any info!

Jerrod

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Is the wheel arch in the quarter panel damaged? If so, that's a difficult repair to get right because of the body line that follows the wheel arch. It's just a SWAG on my part but I'd guess a substantial quarter panel repair will run in the $500-750 range if you just want the quarter repaired and primered, but not painted.

I can't even guess what the roof would cost to repair.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hello, I have a pretty rare cat-- I've had my 1967 GT S-code 4 speed for 3 years...it has a lot of potential and pretty much straight except it needs a new driver side quarter panel skin as the original one is smashed up--was told it fell down on the wheel when it was jacked up at one time. The other issue is that someone installed an aftermarket sunroof--they did a good job, but I know it takes away from originality and value. How much could I expect to have to pay to have these two issues fixed (it's beyond my skills). Thanks for any info!
Jerrod
If you have a picture or two of the damaged fender and roof, it will help with a better estimate. As was said, lots will depend on Damage. Finding someone you trust to do the actual work is very important. If you are wanting to keep your car "as" original. Finding a "replacement" panel might be your best bet if there is too much damage. The options on your roof are these: Patch in the hole for a seamless repair(inside and out) then new headliner, or full roof replacement and all the details involved in that. Look on West Coast Classic Cougars site to see if he has patch panels or full pieces. That will give you an idea of how much to figure on parts. There are other sites also. You might luck out and find a Junked cougar for the parts.(with scrap metal being high, lots of older bodies have been crushed)
Good luck in your search. From another 67 GT owner.
Lloyd

·
Registered
630 Posts
just did the roof replacement on my 67 g.t. it really wasnt that bad wccc has a video on doing it u can get a trashed parts car or order a roof from wccc if u geta parts car just make sure the top of the windows opening is solid there is an option to welding qtr. panels 3m 8115 auto mix or eastwoods have a kit i belive for weldless bonding i konw a guy that did qtr. panel & floor pan with this stuff & liked it its supposed to be so strong the metal will rip before the 3m gives. i prefer to weld & would not use it on the roof you have to consider how much working time the adheasive has before it sets up it kinda one shot wrong or right, on the roof you need to start & proceed at certain areas & work it in position plus when the meatl gets warm from welding you can tap it down or into place & it will lay down better. if you want more info on roof just ask hope this helps,
curtis

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
If you pay someone to do it - you are probably looking at $1000 for each repair. Possibly more if this is a higher end shop.

·
Registered
630 Posts
i paid 500 for a 68 with solid roof but smacked in the front and frame rails rotted out i had to find one bad enough body wise so i wouldnt be temted to fix it when i got it home, still considered breifly it was the only year i was missing from 67 -70 but sold the 289 out of it for 75 & it has pwr. disc brakes that i will use on the 70 like i said before if you use the glue make sure to see how much working time it has before it sets up you would hve to have the roof fitted drilled to locate with screws & tighten down u can go back & grind screw heads off. i just like they way it went welding i was able to take my time over several days & only had to install 6 screws 3 on each side where the leaded seams were. started front middle worked out to corners left front corners loose then middle drip rail to front & rear then middle rear out then front corners & rear leaded seam last laid down & turned out great no one will ever know. unless they see the original spotwelds gone

·
Registered
316 Posts
I like the videos from WCCC given me some more knowledge for sure .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts