Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys, I have found that when i install my automatic FMX gearbox the crank stops turning. It only stops turning when i am within 16th of an inch of marrying the to together. If i back it of three turns the crank spins freely. I cant tell if its the converter bolts touching the sandwich plate or if the converter is not all they way back in the box.Unless i am missing a spacer i cant understand why the studs from the converter would touch the sandwich plate. Thanks John

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
WARNING!!!

Converter is not fully seated into trans. DO NOT TIGHTEN BOLTS to draw the two together or you risk damage to trans front pump assembly.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
^^Correct! Sounds like you are being careful, but take it out be sure the converter is fully seated and turn it slightly when you go back in. takes a bit of fiddling to marry them up, but will fit flush without much trouble if things are lined up right.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WARNING!!!

Converter is not fully seated into trans. DO NOT TIGHTEN BOLTS to draw the two together or you risk damage to trans front pump assembly.
Thanks for the reply i cant tell if i have done any damage, but i know that the converter refuses to go back that little bit more to give me the clearence between the fly wheel and converter. ?Does the converter only go on turning clock wise or anti clockwise or does it not matter which way i turn.I think when the box is attached the converter should be away from the flywheel about 3/8" at the moment the converter sits hard up on the flywheel and when i tighten the bolts pressure is locking the flywheel.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply but that is my problem when it sits flush and i tighten the bolts on the bell housing it locks the crank, i think there should be some back and forward movement in the converter otherwise its putting pressure on the flywheel,I dont recall if i seated it the first and if i have damaged the pump.
^^Correct! Sounds like you are being careful, but take it out be sure the converter is fully seated and turn it slightly when you go back in. takes a bit of fiddling to marry them up, but will fit flush without much trouble if things are lined up right.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
When you put the converter on the input shaft, it will go on partway when you align the teeth inside the converter with the ones on the input shaft. Then the last little bit is the outer 'collar' of the converter neck to the front pump gear. There is more than one 'clunk' as the converter goes onto the input shaft. You'll need to separate the engine and converter again, and spin the converter until it goes back into that last engagement. Then you can bolt the engine to the trans! You'll find that you will need to pull the converter forward for the converter studs to fit into the flexplate.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info unable to locate last notch, takin the bos to expert and he cant either, i have asked him to open the box and see if there is any damage to pumps and why the sleeve will not go there extra notch.. I think i may have tightened it wrong when i placed and pushed converter into box damaging what ever lay behind .

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah, you better check it out before getting to far....sorry it didn't go better. It's one of the reasons I like to pull it and put it in as a unit so you can marry them up easier outside the vehicle and be more confident it slips together correctly. Plus I hate working under the car back that much! Good luck!

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
It's best to support the center of the converter with one hand while turning it with the other while installing it in the trans. It will go in easily that way. Pressing a little with the supporting hand will help.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You were 100% right i just found the damaged edge,machine filed it and refitted it . Works like it should Thanks.
WARNING!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Guys all sorted, my build continues, hope to fire it up tomorro, if you hear thunder in the night you will know its the boys down under.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
LOL - I thought that was the volcano in Italy ;>0

1 - 12 of 12 Posts