Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I admit, I am confused about gear ratios! If your gears are small numbers(mine say I have 2.79 on my data plate)then is that good for highway or do I need large ones (like 4.11)
I run high rpms on the high way at 70mph. (Idon't have a tach but it sounds high.)I am thinking the gears have been changed. If so how can I tell what ratio they are. :confused:

·
Registered
694 Posts
less than technical way to do it.........

Craig,
Did you ever get your email from me? If you replied I never got it.

As far as figuring your rear end ratio, you can approximate what rear gear you have by jacking up the car so you can turn the rear wheels. (Of course do this with safety in mind.....chalk the front wheels.......whatever you gotta do).
Draw a line on your tire or just put your hand in one location to spin it. As you turn the rear tire 1 complete revolution, be watching the yoke on the front of your gears and count how many times it goes around in the time it takes your tire to do the one revolution. If it does it around 3 times you figure you got highway gears 2.79 or 3.00....something like that.
If it definitely goes past 3 turns but not 3 and a half, then you might have 3.25's. If it goes 3 and a half 3.50 would most likely be the gear and if it goes around 4 times.....you guessed it-4.11
Hope this helps.......Keith

1 - 3 of 3 Posts