Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone else had a problem with high volume oil pumps having too much pressure say 80 psi cold and 50 psi when hot? Already chewed up 2 dist gears in first 500 miles since complete overhaul. the pump is for a cleveland. melling m84ahv. The cam is hydraulic. so there's no material incompatability. The gear on the cam is in near perfect shape. just a small amount ofwear through the Parkerizing but no loss of material. I've measured the pedestal I.D. where the dist connects to the oil pump driveshaft and there's about .003 in. on either side of dist shaft assuming that the distributor and block are concentric to each other. maybe the Crane cam is made of a better cast iron than the distributor gear. I know that ford racing offers a "green" cast iron gear but I haven't found any info relating to their gear. anyone ever used one of these?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
What makes you think that oil pressure is chewing up dist gears? 80 lbs cold is very common on a properly rebuilt motor.

Maybe the cam is bad?? mm

·
Registered
10 Posts
Elimin8or70,

Are you by chance running a roller camshaft? Most roller camshafts are made from steel and will "chew up" factory cast iron distributor gears. The steel camshaft is harder than the cast iron distributor gear. If you are running a roller camshaft you need to run a distributor gear that is compatible with it. These are available at all speed shops and mail order performance part companies (Summit, Jeg's ect.)
Just a thought.

Kevin Smokorowski
Hearland Cougar Club
Wichita, Ks

70 XR7

1 - 3 of 3 Posts