Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where are your gauges mounted. There are few places to cleanly mount typical gauges in my 70. I think I have found a spot but thought I'd ask in case you had a better place.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My guages are mounted where the idiot lights used to be. (in the middle) The PO placed three 2 1/4 guages with a face made of balsa wood painted black. I like the concept, but I'm making the piece out of stainless steel. Looks oh so sweet....

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My only concern is how do you remove the dash if there is a mechanical water temp gauge, without unscrewing the sender from the block?

·
Registered
166 Posts
No, but I loved the set-up of your car, since I joined this forum. I have my guages, where the idiot lights were, right above the stereo. How much did it cost for you to do that, cause that l;ooks pretty sweet. You have the harness belts too right?

·
Registered
166 Posts
vfret said:
My only concern is how do you remove the dash if there is a mechanical water temp gauge, without unscrewing the sender from the block?

To remove my dash to get everything out, you have to unscew your sender, and run the sender cable through the fire wall. Same as the oil PSI. I have a voltmeter, OIL PSI, and water temp, guages mounted here. You can get a pod that will fit over the ashtray ona 69 through musttangs unltd. Its the same pod for a mustang, and holds 2 guages.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mautemps: Thats my problem. I dont want remove my gauges every time I remove the dash. I've had them there before and it was a pain. I'll admit they looked great, but still they were a pain.

I've manufactured three cups to mount the gauges in, that will mount to my "A" pillar. I'm using the smallest Mechanical gauges I could find. (smaller that 2"). So far everything looks like it will work with no problems. However if there are I will probably have to mount them wher you suggested. I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I used a very small mechanical set bolted under the dash. There right in the corner just right of the ign switch. There very unnoticeable and easy install. I have a picture if you want.mm

·
Registered
166 Posts
vfret said:
Mautemps: Thats my problem. I dont want remove my gauges every time I remove the dash. I've had them there before and it was a pain. I'll admit they looked great, but still they were a pain.

I've manufactured three cups to mount the gauges in, that will mount to my "A" pillar. I'm using the smallest Mechanical gauges I could find. (smaller that 2"). So far everything looks like it will work with no problems. However if there are I will probably have to mount them wher you suggested. I guess we'll see.

How often do you take your dash off? I would figure, do everything you have to, and then leave it on....

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
not often. But when I do I don't want it to be a pain in my @$$. I'll be replacing the heater core this summer. Thats really the only thing I can think of. But if for some reason I have to do it again, I want to make it easy.

I did make a really kick @$$ gauge holder to mount on the "A" pillar. I'll probably go with that. If I do I'll post a pic. It shouild look really sharp. I didn't want to rule out any other locations that you all might have come up with. T^hats why I posted the thread. Thanks to all that responded.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts