Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not sure whats going on but all of a sudden my oil and battery amp gauges on my xr7 stopped working

i didnt know if just the gauge itself just stopped working , or could it be due to a vacuum leak or something

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I think he is talking about the regulator on the back of the gauge panel, assuming that 71-73 used them like the earlier cars did. I believe they drop the voltage to the gauges down to 5 volts.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
The Ammeter doesn't work off the CVR, only the Oil, Temp & Fuel gauges. LIke Mike said , it is there to drop the voltage into the gauges from 12 to 5. There's a good chance the Ammeter just went TU. That is common. Check the Oil gauge by disconnecting the wire at the sending unit and grounding the wire through a 10 ohm resistor. If you can't get a resistor then you can touch it direct to ground quickly - if you leave it on it will burn out the gauge. If the gauge swings to the high side you have a bad sending unit. If it doesn't move then it's the gauge or the wire from the gauge to the sender or the printed circuit feeding the gauge (unless the 123 has a wire to both sides). Unlikely that it's the CVR unless the other gauges are acting hokey too, but not impossible.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
What's meant by "Ammeter just went TU"? "Mammaries" Up maybe? Just wondering.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Good guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts